Crash bug on Kindle Fire

Conquer the island

Crash bug on Kindle Fire

Postby jdwatts » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:31 pm

When I got my new Kindle Fire for Christmas, I was really excited to see that Slay was available on the Amazon Appstore. There's not a lot of good strategy games on the Amazon store yet, so I picked this up with nary a second thought. I gleefully loaded it up and played through the first level. However, as soon as I finished the game crashed on me!

I've played a dozen games now, and it crashes every single time the game tries to go back to the level select screen - when I click "OK" on the congratulations popup, I surrender, or push the back button. As a result, I can not see which levels I have beaten.

I'd be happy to beta test a fix if you don't have access to KF hardware. I've got the regular Kindle Fire, 2nd generation.

PS. There are only three reviews on Amazon right now and I've love to write a glowing review if this were fixed.
jdwatts

Update: Stopped crashing all of a sudden

Postby jdwatts » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:35 pm

After I posted my first comment and after playing a few more games. Slay stopped crashing on me at the end of levels. I had played at least 15 times before, with crashes every single time, but I have not seen a single crash since.

The only thing I can think of that I did differently was change difficulties. All of my previous games had been on the first screen of very easy levels. I can't remember the exact sequence but sometime shortly after I tried my first level on Easy, the game stopped crashing.

When I have some time I will try reinstalling the game from scratch and try to replicate the error.
jdwatts

Re: Crash bug on Kindle Fire

Postby nikkil » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi jdwatts, if this game has been stable already, I wouldn't recommend installing it again.
You're never a loser until you quit trying. Image
nikkil

Reinstalled - No problems now

Postby jdwatts » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:43 pm

I must have had a buggy install the first time. Previously it wouldn't even show the white flags when I surrendered, but that too is working now. I have not had a single crash since the reinstall.

I have a few suggestions about the Slay experience on the Kindle Fire (and possibly tablets in general). I only mention these because of how awesome Slay is and because I plan on playing this for years to come.

1. Hexes are small and often hard to pinpoint select on the default resolution. I can zoom in and out just fine, but the graphics quickly get fuzzy on zoom. When I try to zoom back out I have a hard time getting back to the default the graphics were intended for. I'm not sure what can be done here in terms of vectorizing the graphics, but it would also be nice to have a button to snap back to the default res.
2. Icons (undo, settings, etc) should be 1.5-2x larger on the larger screen.
3. Does not save in-island progress when exiting the game. If I come back to the game soon, it keeps the progress, but not if I come back hours later.
4. The Amazon page has TestDrive enabled, but will not actually load.
5. I bought it at $2.99 a couple of weeks ago. I think that's a more natural price point on Amazon than the current $4.70. At that level you're starting to compete with products from professional studios.

Thanks for such a great game!
jdwatts

Return to Slay