What is in a name?

Command a squadron of spaceships
Legacy

What is in a name?

Post by Legacy » Thu May 05, 2005 4:31 pm

What do you use for commander names? Friends? Family? War heroes? The names of Wal-Mart check-out people? Pets? Random sequences of letters? Ancient names/places/words?

I tend to use mostly the names of people, movie/novel characters, past and present world leaders, and creatures from AD&D.

Similarly, what do you use for ship names(to those who design ships)?

I like animal and mythological names, but I also slip in the names of famous ships and ship classes.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu May 05, 2005 6:22 pm

For commanders, I use either A. Summons and spells from Final Fantasy (Odin, Kjata, Roulette), B. Random names (Baker, Glass) or C. Random letters and numbers (adf asdf, asf97 444t, 6%). For their squadrons, the Summons have the name of their attack, the spells are the type of magic, the random names are something cool, and the random people are random letters.

For ships...I name them something cool or funny sounding. Omega. Destroyer X. I am going to win. Ship for AI.
My webcomic:

OrigamiGuy

Post by OrigamiGuy » Thu May 05, 2005 9:21 pm

My commanders are named after characters from games or books I enjoy, or just a random person I talked to that day.

I name my ships according to their function and price (a lot like the default ships are named). I.E. my stealth ships are named after classes of stealthy killers (Rogue, Assassin, and Ninja, respectively) and my scout ships are named the Eyeball, the Overseer, and the Monitor.

My favorite ship I designed, the Probe, is extremely handy in "seek and destroy" missions. One engine on the rear/left/right, one command center on each side, one launcher with five Oriks, and six radars on each side. 56 credits gives you amazing scouting capabilities, and the little buggers actually manage to stay alive most of the time.
"Stupid people exist to give smart people something fun to do." ~Me
"Those who can constantly quote others aren't necessarily well-read. Maybe they simply have no ideas of their own." ~Me

Styro

Post by Styro » Fri May 06, 2005 3:30 pm

My commanders are usually called "Lucky" or "Styro", but I sometimes just use random things like going through the greek letters (Alpha, Beta, etc), or names like "DeadDuck".

For my ships, I found a design of ships that works for me and then stuck with it from cheap to expensive. It is a stealth-based design, so I just call them Shadow I, Shadow II, etc up to about Shadow XV. Not very original, I know, but it makes it very easy to tell them apart. :)
If I may say so, life is a game, and there's so much to do and so few turns.
- Reiner Knizia

qwas

Post by qwas » Fri May 06, 2005 3:52 pm

I normally use my surname in everyone of Sean's games, I used to call myself Jack (when I had the demo, I think)
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sat May 07, 2005 6:50 pm

My main class of ship is pretty much the only one I fly. Lot's of armor and Plectrons, decent turning, 4 launchers, and very little radar or stealth (I always give myself scouts of some sort as wingmates). I call it "Omega".

So, my first ship is "Omega I". Second is "Omega II". 5th is "Omega V". 7th is "Omega VII". Then, I just made little little updates, so they were "Omega VII.IV", Omega "VII.VIII", etc. My best one costs 422, has super shields all around, absolutely maxed components. Omega VIII.IV. Mmmmmm...I like it. I only got it once, in my 200 mission game. Ah...how I miss that game...
My webcomic:

McLauren

Post by McLauren » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:12 am

I just tend to name them for their intended purpose. I made an entire group of stealth ships that are black. So I have a Support Stealth, A Light Stealth, Some other one I cant recall at the moment, A stealth fighter, a heavy stealth, a stealth frigate (which bears no resemblence appearance or setup wise to the original frigate), the stealth destroy ( no resemblance to the original), and the biggest and coolest being the stealth cruiser (which also bears no resemblence to the original). I also have a stealth watcher that is cheaper than the original but more combat effective since its harder to see, handles better, and carries daycorns.

PlecTron

Post by PlecTron » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:20 am

I name my commander either Jakyl, Omega, Jakyl Stryker, Lt. Stryker*, or Akira. as for squad i dont know i just name em something cool. ships, i have a series of ships named Fate, Doom, Destiny, Judgement Day, Ragnarok, Armaggeddon, a whole class of ships, class name: Apocalypse (pure plecs with all purpose systems) ill give em to someone. i also used to have a series based on the hornet, i made angel and devil hornet first, then i made a series of ships like 16 ships long

1-8. same cost, varying purpose, all start with MissLess (MissLessNess!!!)
9-14. i forget names but they basiclly get stronger each time
15. Angel Of Death, full blue shields all around a real BITCH to fight as he will repair anything you hit.
16. DeahtAngel's Shade, (tried to fit it in the name box so ingame you can see the whole thing) same as 15 but all super shields......Aptly named!

unfortunately i lost them when my computer started (see signature) and ended up getting wiped....GRRR....now u understand the sig!
WHAT? WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "Critical System Errror"?????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:39 am

I've recently been amusing myself by naming myself things like "ownage" or "destruction" and naming my squadron "this" or "a" just so I can see:

"Major destruction commanding a squadron on Mission 3: Patrol Friendly Sector" or something like that.
My webcomic:

Empty Hat

Post by Empty Hat » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:22 am

All my guys have names I randomly make up, though Squadron leader Dicko of Superdick squadron is a recurring character as its an abreviation of my own name, currently on Dicko IV.

umeboshi110

Post by umeboshi110 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:39 pm

i just use my name and alpha squad, i don't really care about it too much
my ship names are numbered right now, gotta fix that someday...
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)