The elusive coloniser

Command a squadron of spaceships
Steve!

The elusive coloniser

Post by Steve! » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:16 pm

Hunt the coloniser has to be the most annoying mission in the game!!!! First time I played it it was fine because the coloniser was easily found. But now, no matter where i go it cant be seen, randomness is good, but the limited radar makes colonisers hard, near on impossible to spot on such a large field.

I suggest you at least remove the colonisers stealth pods, Its not exactly the most sneaky of ships. Id like to see some feature for helping you hunt ships.

What about a probe, fired like a missile, straight forward with all round radar coverage, lets you see whats dead ahead of you. It would still be hard to find things as the probe would only reveal stuff directly ahead.

Any other ideas anybody?

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:31 pm

Just for curiosity, did you have a Watcher class ship on the mission? The colonizer is almost impossible to find IF you don't have a radar ship. One of the purposes of this mission is to make a radar ship a high priority item. It prepares you for later missions that involve lots of hidden enemy fighters. Have you had an enemy fighter stop beside an asteroid and wait for you to bumble along into its missile path? Its a very effective tactic for ships with lots of stealth pods.

As you note, its frustrating to be unable to find a simple ship that moves so slow. The mission was designed with just that in mind. Note that there is a trick that usually works. Instead of dogfighting the guard ships, go straight for the colonizer. I can find it 9 times out of 10 by doing that.

Note that the Comet Miner is another new ship with similar characteristics.

The old version of Cmass was not so much on strategy, it was just a shoot em up game. Version 4 does a much better job of making you go straight for the objective or hit hard and get out.

Fusion

Steve!

Post by Steve! » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:19 pm

Often I try to bring a radar ship along with me, but they are awful at fighting, and being as the enemy almost always find you first, they tend to die before they can be any use :roll: Even if you do have a scanner ship, you have to head in the general direction of the ship to find it; you make a wrong decision about where its going to be, and you rarely have time to guess again, you head dead centre and its not there, then you have to go either left or right, one of which will fail you the mission.

I?m not used to hunting things, so maybe ill figure it out soon, but it?s perhaps a little harsh on players starting out. I would like to a new method of scanning, sensors seem to be less powerful this version, and stealth pods reduce their effectiveness further

Oh and stealth pods are great! I stuck four all each side of a ship, the enemy squad would be flying slowly about when I found it, completely unaware of my presence, and once I'd done hassling them I could sneak out very effectively. I had a Nightmare on my tail and was expecting a volley of daycorns, but it couldn't see me and just peeled off! Stealth pods are a MUST on the rear for early ships, as the armour is so expensive.

And yes, I fully agree on the new strategy element being far better than in CM 3, I had to do several hit and runs on a factory base; while i left my flak shield... I mean wingmen to distract the enemy fleet. I won but had to eject as my only means of escape from the inside of an angry turret ring. I was quite pleased how many missiles it took to finish off my ship remains.

Tobeon

Re: The elusive coloniser

Post by Tobeon » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:30 pm

Steve! wrote:What about a probe, fired like a missile, straight forward with all round radar coverage, lets you see whats dead ahead of you. It would still be hard to find things as the probe would only reveal stuff directly ahead.

Any other ideas anybody?

I love that idea! that should definatly be put in!!!! ooooooh a probe would be GREAT!