Error when starting Critical Mass

Command a squadron of spaceships
Quitch

Error when starting Critical Mass

Post by Quitch » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:33 am

I'm running Windows XP SP2 and work under an account with user rights (though it has Modify permissions to the Critical Mass folder).

When I try and load Critical Mass I get the following error:

Critical Mass

Cannot read values from registry

Followed by:

Critical Mass

The file "RollofHonour.dat" appears to have been copied from an earlier version so it will need to be deleted.

It hasn't been.

If I load the game under an admin account I only get the second error.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:06 pm

Well, the first error is because you need to have admin privileges to run Critical Mass 4.0. I'm not sure where it reads the registry from. As for the second error, I think it's related to the first, but I don't know why it would happen on an admin account.
My webcomic:

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:29 pm

I shouldn't need admin rights to run it though. I didn't for the last three and the game design hasn't changed, only the code behind it. Not to mention that in the world of multi-user operating systems, requiring an admin account to work is pretty poort (especially as there are plenty of areas users CAN access in the registry... and the registry doesn't even need to be used!)

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:26 am

It's because in the latest version I've used the Registry to store an ID number so it's harder for people to cheat and resurrect their commanders. It's the first time I've used the Registry so I'll have to take another look and write it better so there are no admin rights issues.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:46 pm

Thanks, Sean. Just store it under HKEY_CURRENT_USER instead of, as I assume it is, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

n-drx

Post by n-drx » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:28 am

Quitch wrote:Just store it under HKEY_CURRENT_USER instead of, as I assume it is, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Yet this will cause other troubles: if the game is being used on the same machine by different user accounts, any time you'll start it with a different account it will tell that the RollOfHonour.dat has been damaged!
Critical Mass Tools - Download here