[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Firefight Vs. Close Combat series

Firefight Vs. Close Combat series

Real time World War II combat simulation

Which do you prefer, Firefight or Close Combat?

Firefight
65%
Close Combat
12%
I prefer the infantry orientated Close Combats
No votes
I prefer the tank orientated Close Combats
No votes
I'd rank them about equal
No votes
Haven't heard of the Close Combat series
24%
Can't stand either
No votes

Total votes : 17

Firefight Vs. Close Combat series

Postby Quitch » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:54 pm

I'm sure many Firefight players have heard of or played games from the Close Combat series. I've only bothered with Close Combat 2, due to the tank obsession that blighted later games, though I hear 5 was better (if one-sided).

I was wondering how people felt Firefight compared to its more "professional" brother?
Quitch

Postby Quitch » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:50 am

Reasons are good too :)
Quitch

Postby Garnier » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:17 pm

I have close combat 2, and like it better than firefight for a lot of reasons.
1. you can issue a lot more types of orders.
2. The terrain has more of an effect on the game and is more interesting(especially how buildings work)
3. The graphics are much better, also the tanks arent so small(in firefight they seem like they would hardly fit a person in them.
4. The game is more detailed all around and especially the individual soldier info(lets you know his morale, experience, current stability, physical health, physical fitness, leadership quality, weapon, ammunition, what hes doing at the moment, name and rank.
5. Various other reasons

One thing I really like about firefight is the random map generator. That is one of the best things any game can have.
Garnier

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:23 am

i think the tanks are about the right size, but the people are giants - if the people are 2m tall, who the hell lives in a house 4x6m??????????? :?: :?: ??? :?: ? :?: ????? :?: ?? :?: ???? :?: :!:
________
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:55 am

The buildings in Close combat are still a bit skimpy, but they are a lot bigger than those in Firefight.

Postby Father Of All Victories » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:34 pm

I have Close Combat I, II and III (bought CC Trilogy in one unique pack).
CC I: don't like it that much (speed, graphics, don't like too much playing the US materials)
CC II (Market garden): better (real campaign with a very different king of timing, better graphics)
CC III (Russian Front): loved it and played it and again and again (there used to be plenty of new maps on the web and I had downloaded more than 150 of them for free!). German tanks were hard to beat in the first times (1941-42), but the russian soon improved their armours (T-34/85); in the summer 1943, things began to changed (Tigers, and a few months later the first Panthers). The very end of the war turned definitively russian (IS I & II) Same for infantery weapons (MG 42 appeared as real killers, but the late HSK -- though heavy -- answered it well). Plenty of materials (may be too many Panzerfaust and panzerschreck for the German troops), really enjoyable units (snippers, flamethrowers (!)), scenario editor.
Agree with Garnier's first four reasons.
With Firefight, I feel uneasy (must have been too much used to playing CC). Seems a bit strange when my Panthers get killed at the first shoot by US Sherman tanks...
-- I don't play CC any more by now --
Father Of All Victories

Postby Quitch » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:15 pm

Quitch

Postby sid6.7 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:51 am

sid6.7

Postby Perturabo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:16 am

I prefer Firefight. All the advantages of CC are cancelled by the horrible AI and vehicle pathfinding.
Perturabo

Thread revival

Postby JeanBoule » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:35 am

Good to see peeps are reading the old threads.

I saw this before but today was the first time I answered the poll and saw the results.

Good to see FF well supported.

There is always going to be a problem with scale. I much prefer the FF scale to any other game. If you have big tanks the enemy are going to look like they are 20 metres away if they are going to fit on the screen.

If you have smaller tanks the soldiers are going to look too big, otherwise you could not see them at all.

So I think FF is mostly right.
Voila du boudin!
JeanBoule

Postby Lannes » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:41 pm

I prefer Firefight.
Christophe
Lannes

Postby welk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:55 pm

If Sean O'Connors would accept to upgrade this game with features like Steel Panthers, Firefight would be, in my opinion, one of the best tactical games never made. I think he should provide a expansion pack for 20$ ,with all needed features. I tried during long time to play Close Combat, I downloaded each demo I founded, and I never loved that. But at the first minute of game with demo FF, I was able to say : I need this game immediatly.
welk

Postby Dylan735 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:26 pm

Guys, Don't forget it isn't because sean won't do an upgrade, and he's never said he wouldn't, but the problems implicated with him making a new version of firefight right now, are to big compared to the positive points. He's said himself he wants too, and he hasn't said he wont. But remeber, making games is his job, and firefight doesn't have a big enough fan base RIGHT now.
Dylan.
-------
Dylan735

Postby Dylan735 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:40 pm

And i'm sorry, but Close combat is probably the worst game i have EVER played.
Dylan.
-------
Dylan735

Return to Firefight