Pocket PC Version - Hard vs. Very Hard

Conquer the island
roddie

Pocket PC Version - Hard vs. Very Hard

Post by roddie » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:12 pm

I love Slay - I play it during meetings, on airplanes, and while eating dinner.

I played the first 50 islands on Hard mode and beat them (Pocket PC Version) and have since played about 10 more at the Very Hard level. It almost seems like the Very Hard level is easier than the Hard level. The computer players seem a bit more aggressive, but also makes sloppy moves.

Am I just getting that much better at it? I'll typically have to surrender at least once per island before I complete it, but on the Very Hard levels I haven't had to surrender once.

brenth

Post by brenth » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:58 am

I tend to agree. I've found it's easy to lure a knight or baron into a trap in the very hard mode. Just take some of his squares let him come and get you, then build a wall around him with your peasants. Works every time.

cactusgod

Post by cactusgod » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:14 pm

aye - can be tricked like that most times - but do not underestimate the AI ability to respond.

Key factors in bringing them to you:

1 - it always appears to prefer to attack the last square it lost to you
2 - it understands towers well and usually avoids them (enabling you to channel their attack
3 - it usually only attacks on one front only
4 - it will not attack if the most powerful piece in the contiguous colour you control is more powerful than its most powerful piece (mostly ....)

The other game winning tactic is "evil foam" - you can spread over a large area using hexagons with empty centres, this denies productive terrain to the AI even if not generating income for you. A sudden explosion of such "foam" over enemy terrain can knock them back so hard you can consolidate the win quickly.