AI bug

Conquer the island
imaginieus

AI bug

Post by imaginieus » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:15 am

This isnt really a bug, but I thought i should post it anyway. What happened was, I was about to lose, because the computer had taken over almost half of a very large map, and all I had was a quarter of it. There was no way to bankrupt him, because he had made a full wall protecting himself. Because all the other areas were very weak, I realized that I could just make a wall of level 3 guys to protect myself for a while. I then proceded to obtain the rest of the island, which was slightly more than half. What was wierd was that the computer that had possesion of almost half the island just shut down. It didnt buy more men, or anything. It just sat there. It was really stupid, because the computer was obviously saving a ton of money, and all it had to do was buy a level 4 man, and it could easily win in a few days. All I had to do was, after taking over the rest of the island, go in there and destroy his house, making him lose all the money he had saved up. After that, I just hit auto-move, and I won in 2 more days.

imaginieus

Post by imaginieus » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:15 am

There is no way anyone is gonna be able to understand that, lol

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:41 am

On the contrary, that is exactly the kind of scenario you can encounter with the AI player(s) in Slay. The AI was defending against your possible invasion therefore did not focus on capturing the rest of the island.

Here are a couple of other AI quirks that will drive you nuts.

1. The AI positions a man before building a castle. This often results in the man being incorrectly placed.

2. When the AI attacks an enemy, it kills the capitol first. This often results in a knight attacking a capitol when it could have destroyed a castle then used a spearman to wipe out the capitol.

3. The preference in placing men on the first move often results in an AI player taking a poor position. For example, if he is in a corner and could block other players off from his corner by taking one hex, he will instead take a different hex that gives him a triangular position or that extends his territory to another hex of his color.

4. The AI will attack from a stongly defended position if he has no other viable move. You can place a peon beside his territory and he will kill the peon at which poinit you can usually kill him or wipe out his capitol so he starves next move.

There are lots more. The problem with fixing all these items is that beating the AI is difficult enough for most players. If Sean made it invincible, it just wouldn't be as much fun to play.

Fusion

When you are arguing with a fool, make sure he isn't doing the same.

imaginieus

Post by imaginieus » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:45 am

He could make an impossible skill level, lol. Anyway, it was kind of funny, because I completely shut down a guy that had more than twice as many hexes as me. He just sat there for like 20 days, he probly had like $500 lol.

Milan

Post by Milan » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:45 pm

Problem with Slay Ai is that he thinks bad on large maps and large territories. He is good on the beginnig of the game. Maybe he neads different Ai once his territories are larger than, say, 30 hexagons.

He likes to save money, but live people dont do that often.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:54 am

It's easier to make the AI good at the beginning of a game as there are far fewer possible moves that can be made. When the territories get bigger the possibilities go up exponentially. It's easy for a human to disregard the "silly" moves and look at what's important but a computer has to go through them one by one.

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:11 pm

I don't want to criticise Seans AI (It's better than any of the AIs i've ever coded). Annother weakness is the AIs inability to spot how it could easily 'cut you off' in the later game. This leads to sloppy play (until you play against real people who don't overlook these mistakes).

brenth

Post by brenth » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:52 pm

Not only does it fail to spot how it can cut you off - - I fails to spot how you can cut him off.

sharon

Post by sharon » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:35 am

I would assume that making the AI of slay take into account EVERY move and PLANNING ahead would poss be harder to do than the making of AI for a game of chess as there can be alot more peices to move and alot more places for them to move :)

So that means if sean was to make the AI that good it would take the computer alot longer to processes....

Maybe a MAX thinking time option could be added for the computer?
will my pc ever be fast enough?