[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - MAP CONTEST RULES

MAP CONTEST RULES

A boardgame of world domination

rules okay?

yes
71%
no, see my post below
29%

Total votes : 7

MAP CONTEST RULES

Postby sid6.7 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:40 pm

here are the rules (tentative) i've made up
take a look and see whats up and what should
change and why if you disagree...

the FINAL DATE is tentative also...depends on
how fast we are setting this up and if enough join.

CONQUEST MAP TOURNAMENT 2005

RULES:

1. You must comply with the rules or your map wont be submitted.

2. Map should handle 6 players.

3. ALL submissions must be emailed here first: sid6.7 AT cruzan.info
if they go to someone else first they wont be submitted.

4. ALL submissions must be submitted by Oct 1 2005 11:59pm PACIFIC TIME if it comes in at 12 midnight it wont be submitted.

5. Maps must be no more then 900 wide x 600 tall in pixels
this will allow the full map to show on the screen and
see the small Conquest task bar at the bottom.

6. Map needs to have at least 42 territories and 6 continents

6. You may submit 2 maps per person, ill do my best to
check this per IP# and email address.

7. Scoring:

map size: do they stay within required limits?: 1 pt no, 2 pts yes

originality: is the map an original piece of work? see RULE X: 1 pt no 2pts revised 3 pts yes

playability: is the map playable? see RULE Y: 1 pt no, 2 points maybe, 3 points yes

artistic: how neat is the artwork?: 1pt GOOD, 2 pts GREAT

errors: are there errors? does the map crash?: 1 pt crashes, 2 pts errors , 3 pts none.

you can get 1/2 points IE.. a .5 instead of 1 a 1.5 or a 2.5 its the judges choice there are no 1/2 points above 3.

total: 14 points

8. Yes you may include a text file explaining your map.

9. ALL maps will be posted on my site with the #1 and #2 winning Medals/Stars.
NO maps will be flamed on my site, thats not cool, I'll send you your score privately to you if you want, i wont rank those that did not win.

10. Map judges may submit maps but automatically lose 1.5 points to thier total.

X. if a map is already on seans web site and you submit it or a revision
of it, it will only get 1 pt for originality. You could get 2 pts if
we think you made substantial enough revisions to change the map. IE...
if you just change the names and add-remove 3-4 territories or so its
gonna get 1 pt instead of 2. its the judges choice.

Y. what makes a map playable:

1. no bunkers...IE a small island that generates HUGE amounts of troops
with only 1 entrance so you can't break in.
2. no circles...IE a map where its an endless/long chase around the map
with no way to corner someone.
3. territories are too small so you can hardly click on them or see
them.
4. NON-ADJACENT territories have to many connections...IE more then 3.
5. No 1 Continent generates more troops then all other continents combined.
Last edited by sid6.7 on Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
sid6.7

Postby BoxZone_Author » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:40 pm

Maps that crash should score -ve points.
Maps that have errors should score -ve points.

If you're going to make a map, make it work.

Whats wrong with a territory that joins with 4 others?
BoxZone_Author

Postby sid6.7 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:11 am

had to start somewhere on the links thing to get some
kind of base for the rules...if people want more and
come to some kind of agreement we can change it...

but my thought was to prevent a rat maze of links
that get you into endless loops of chasing someone
around and around the map...

what i've seen on most good maps is about 3 or 4 links
per terr. then i've seen as high as 8 per terr. so i want
to find some kind of middle ground.
sid6.7

Postby sid6.7 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 am

Last edited by sid6.7 on Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sid6.7

Postby BoxZone_Author » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:21 pm

BoxZone_Author

Postby sid6.7 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:45 pm

sid6.7

Postby BoxZone_Author » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:49 pm

Earth has loads of terratories with four or more connections (China has 6) probably half of them have over 3.

Lots of links should not automatically score low points. If having a map with lots of links (in the judges opinion) makes the game a poor play then they should socre it down. Some other judge might like that sort of game. Certainly one or two terratories like that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Circles ... what are you on about. Circules are a certainty in any map (unless it is a starfish which counts as a bunker game). Circles don't hurt anyone, live with them. Choose you tactics appropriately and if someone wan't to run themselves flat on a circle let them, it's a poor tactic on their part and you can wipe them out all the more easily for doing it.
BoxZone_Author

Postby sid6.7 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:33 am

okay i see we are talking 2 different link things and maybe i was
not clear about which...your talking about adjacent terr. i was talking
about NON-adjacent terr....

i was thinking about alsaka-kamchatka brazil-N. africa

we would have to allow adjacent links of any number otherwise
a map would be an endless amount of mini 3 terr. islands
which would then create the spider web i was trying to avoid...

maybe also circle was a poor word to use...

so i see i'll have to show a drawing after all of an example
that would not be good...

here:

and yes there are maps like this...ive played them...

so one should try to have a balanced map without
thier map being overwhelmed by these methods..

and yes judges have that option i belive the rule already
allows 1pt, 2 pts or 3pts however the judge wants to judge it...
i judge may say no 1pt....the other may say its not bad 2pts
or another judge may say i see its a perfect playable map 3 pts..

if thats still not okay i guess we will have to agree
to disagree....if you can agree to that?
sid6.7

Postby BoxZone_Author » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:30 pm

BoxZone_Author

Postby sid6.7 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:22 am

sid6.7

Postby Legacy » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:04 pm

Legacy

Postby sid6.7 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:01 pm

i've asked for judges for sure.... i want 2 or i cant run the contest...
but 3 would be best for tie breakers on anything...
sid6.7

Postby BoxZone_Author » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:14 am

BoxZone_Author

Postby sid6.7 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:56 am

finally we agree to disagree...im very happy...
nice thing about contests is you dont have to join
or contribute rules or maps or whatever if you
dont want you or you can even run your own
if you want based on your preferences
which i think i would find an interesting read if you did
good luck in whatever you do...
sid6.7

Return to Conquest