Network Mass

Command a squadron of spaceships
Star_Viper

Network Mass

Post by Star_Viper » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:41 pm

I'm sure this idea has not escaped the creator nor any of the fans of this game. But what would turn this game from really good to simply outstanding would be a networked version. Or a version that would let you link up with people across the net to have great intergalactic battles. There are simple games that come with any new dell computer that allow you to link up automatically across the net with simple games like checkers. I'm sure that if something was implemented like this the game would spread like... hot cakes? Do hot cakes spread?
Anywho, is there any chance of this ever seeing light? Or is the game not set up to be networked or online-a-fied?

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:46 am

A networked version in on the drawing board but may have to stay there for the near term. The basic problem is the amount of info that has to be passed through the net connection to maintain a consistent view on both ends. There is also an issue with different video drivers and interfaces that might complicate matters.

The two improvements I would like to see most are a network version and for the user to have full flotilla control when designing missions. Both of these would require significant amounts of programming effort and lots of testing to ensure full operability.

I hope Sean will cast some light on this question!

Fusion

Tis better to have a plain but intelligent companion than a beautiful but brainless fool.

Star_Viper

Post by Star_Viper » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:20 pm

I've noticed that you post and reply an awful lot, and you seem to have some inside knowledge. Are you part of the production team? Or are you perhaps a relative of the game designer? I was just curious.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:24 pm

Not related, live in a different country even. I did help beta test the latest version of Cmass and managed to contribute a few worthwhile ideas that are in the new version. Thats where my "inside knowledge" comes from. When you play the new version and the mission is to "Attack Asteroid Mining and Shipbuilding facility", you have me to thank for the misery. I designed the Comet Miner, Coloniser, and Wormhole. Sean built missions around them. The Destroy Coloniser mission is some of his best work yet! Very simple, relatively easy to play out and win but frustrating in the extreme if you can't find the @)#$*)@! Coloniser! Lesson learned - buy a radar ship.

I did my best to find ways around the limits Sean placed in the newest version such as not being able to buy ships greater than 1/3 of your total $. When I found holes, Sean plugged them. I found several bugs in the process of testing which saved Sean quite a bit of time cleaning up the code.

If you look in the game credits, you'll find my name at the bottom of the list. For a while there, I thought Sean was going to put me at the top of the list. The S**t list that is! *G*

There are lots of ideas that were considered and rejected in making the latest version. Some of them were really good ideas such as being able to determine the missile firing sequence.

Fusion

Joshua

Post by Joshua » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:09 am

really? you can only buy 1/3 of your money's worth?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:58 am

Joshua wrote:really? you can only buy 1/3 of your money's worth?

The most expensive ship that you can buy can only be up to 1/3 of your total money. It's just to stop you from blowing all your money on one mega ship!

JustLove

Post by JustLove » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:32 am

I actually think that restriction should be removed. Not to mention people could just create a trivial mission (one with no enemy ship), disable all other mission but that, and earn as much money as they needed.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:56 am

I found it was a lot more fun to have a squadron with you rather than just spend all your money on one super-ship.

People can always cheat by making their own really simple missions - but where's the fun in that?