[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Take a look at the new version (4.0)!

Take a look at the new version (4.0)!

Command a squadron of spaceships

Postby Fusion_power » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:03 am

Fusion_power

Postby jcastro » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:51 pm

--I think there should also be huge starbases and such that are 5 times larger than current versions. These should take a large force to destroy.

--I think some backgrounds should be like just a plain nebula that your ships are venturing through (instead of far off galaxies, nebulae, and planets). Maybe you could have objects that ships can venture through that are just pockets of gas (these pockets of gas may slow down or speed up ships--computer selects slow-down or speed-up at 50/50 random). These pockets of gas (variety of colors) would make venturing through the nebula look more realistic.

--Players should be able to design their own missiles and designate the size of the warhead, the fuel onboard, intelligent or not, and etc. However, the computer will then determine the cost and weight these take up once those figures are entered.

--Perhaps a new type of weapon should be incorporated in an upcoming version. Energy weapons of varying types (just like missiles of varying types). These are static weapons with their own weapons "pod" (like missiles can be fired from missile pods).

--We should make use of the cargo on ships. Instead of them just sitting there, perhaps players can capture cargo from destroyed ships (the computer will pick how much cargo survives, but never will 100% survive; if a missile has hit cargo and destroyed it before, then obviously it won't be able to be collected).

--Within one total game package, perhaps there should be varying levels of play. Classic play for older versions that are simple
Normal play for version 4.0
Advanced play that allows players to choose more options and do more things
Custom play that possibly allows players to customize what campaigns to do, what ships can be used, the background, etc.

Questions:

--Why does version 4.0 not have the highest level ships in each category (ex: Rook, Gladiator, Golden Eagle, etc.)?

--What purpose do tugs serve?

--What purpose do wormhole generating ships serve?

--What purpose do transmitters serve?

Perhaps we have to use our imagination for now. But if they don't serve a purpose, maybe in the future (like version 6.0 or something), they can actually have a use.

I am only recommending gradual changes to Critical Mass. But, as more and more changes occur, there should be a way to implement "Classic Play, Advanced Play, and Custom Play" so players can choose which type of gameplay they want to initiate. This will satisfy a wider variety I would think. Have a good day people. :)

Sincerely, jcastro
jcastro

Postby Fusion_power » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:35 pm

jcastro,

Try the Attack Sector Base mission. It can only be played when you reach the rank of Captain or Admiral. This is a starbase with a ton of fighters and turrets to clobber you. Its more fun that anything except all out war.

The larger ships are there, they are just not available since you don't have enough money.

Generalizing on your suggestion, I would like to see varying difficulty levels but to make apples to apples comparisons, everyone should play at the same difficulty level.

There is a lot of imagination required to play the game. There are Tugs that tow dead ships in, Comet Miners that extract water and hydrocarbons (fuel), Asteroid Miners that mine hard rock to extract metals for ship building, factories that make missiles, ships, and engines respectively, Water Tankers to move the water the Comet Miners collect, Fuel Tankers to move the hydrocarbons used as fuel, Observatories for studying the far stars, Transmitters to communicate across the galaxy, Colonisers to build colonies on distant worlds, Wormholes to send ships into hyperspace over vast distances, Fuel Depots that store fuel so ships can conveniently re-fuel without having to go to a starbase, Freighters, Passenger Liners, and Shuttles for moving people and goods about, and Hospitals to care for the wounded.

The two biggest changes I would still like to see are ability to design Flotillas (a starbase is an esample of a flotilla with the central starbase, defensive turrets, civilian ships, and offensive fighters) and the ability to "nick" ships for extra credit via some kind of portable hyperspace core.

Fusion
Fusion_power

Postby jcastro » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:07 am

Hello fusion_power. Currently I do not own the game. I am going to purchase it soon (well my mother is), but for now I have only experienced the first level in the demo. :(

Imagination is good though. That's why I like novels. You can imagine the setting and add your own little idea about the characters/setting as you see fit. Nobody will see the exact same thing, but it pleases the person.

I really want to purchase these games soon. I'm going crazy just playing the first little bits of the game! I am unsure when I will purchase it, but hopefully within a week or two! Until then, I'm stuck with less than a crumb of the whole meal. Heh.

, jcastro
jcastro

Postby Fusion_power » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:46 pm

Read em and weep!

Alero was an almost impossible game. I finally killed him off so I could take this screenshot. What do you think of the new background graphics?

Fusion

Fusion_power

Postby Steve! » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:12 pm

how on earth do you manage to win so many missions at the higher levels? Im fighting so many barbarians its not even funny and my wingmen are USELESS!!! I barely stand a chance at any defense mission.
Steve!

Postby Fusion_power » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:49 pm

The first time I saw 30 barbarians on the screen at once I nearly had a conniption. *L*

The key to winning on the higher numbered missions is to build a series of custom ships with increasingly larger numbers of shields. Use the custom ships to fly the tough missions and be prepared to either eject or hyperspace at a moments notice. NEVER EVER try to survive a faceoff where your ship is near a standstill and another ship is facing you head on unless you have an overwhelming shield advantage.

There is a boundary point about mission 75 where you finally get some really large custom ships. Once you pass that point, you just have to survive through mission 100 to reach the point of relatively easy play. Note that missions over 100 can still get you killed but if you've got 4 or 5 really good custom ships, you can survive indefinitely. Presuming you don't make stupid mistakes like letting your own wingmen do you in that is.

I've sent the details of this in to Sean with a couple of suggestions to address it. He may make some minor revisions such as including a ship with more shields than the Barbarian in the internal ship list. Can you imagine tackling a tougher ship or 30?

Fusion
Fusion_power

Postby BlackMarketBeagle » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:23 pm

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but is v4 actually out yet? Or does everyone have an advanced beta but me? The CM changelog isn't showing anything new and the last beta I played had only one mission and very few of the new features.
BlackMarketBeagle

Postby Steve! » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:33 pm

The main version isn't out yet, but the beta is available if you've bought a previous version of critical mass, email Sean, but with the imminent release of CM 4 it might be better to just wait seeing as you?ll loose any commanders you make in the beta.

And fusion, I've got a very heavily armoured custom ship with lots of blue shields all around, blue are definitely the best on the rear as the only missile that will ever hit a manoeuvrable ship in the rear is a 5 m-ton daycorn/drachen. I don't tend to get horribly slaughtered; its just I can't be in two places at once. The enemies always seem to surround the objective such as turret base, I?ve tried flying out to engage them early and half of them ignore me. Regardless of where I am I can't prevent that much firepower tearing friendly stationary targets to pieces. I can only chase one warrior away at a time and it can take upwards of 8 daycorns or 3-4 very well placed plectrons to slay one :?

Edit: I take that back, I just slew one with one plectron to the side! He'd taken slight internal damage from four yataris to the rear (3 took by armour), crashed into my wingman, turned, I shot him on a fully armoured side with 3 plectrons, the first one killed him, only one word really.. ouch
Steve!

:)

Postby ZaldronTheSage » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:38 pm

Just played the beta, very cool. Keep up the awsome work m8. 8)
ZaldronTheSage

exuse me sean...

Postby sgt_orange » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:19 pm

hey i dont know if you remember but if yougot emails from scottc92024@aol thats me and id like to have v 4.0 when its done... is it possible that i dont have to BUY it again? if so when your done ill be looking forward to it!
sgt_orange

Postby Fusion_power » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:25 am

Fusion_power

Postby Joshua » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:50 pm

Joshua

Postby Sean OConnor » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:58 pm

Sean OConnor

Postby Joshua » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:49 pm

Joshua

Previous

Return to Critical Mass