[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Firing arcs

Firing arcs

Real time World War II combat simulation

Firing arcs

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:04 pm

Would it be cool if there would be firing arcs like in Combat Mission ?

Postby Quitch » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:49 pm

Quitch

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:58 pm

Postby Garnier » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:02 pm

Garnier

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:22 pm

Postby Quitch » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:53 pm

Quitch

Postby Sean OConnor » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:56 pm

Sean OConnor

Postby Quitch » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:58 pm

Quitch

Postby TheKangaroo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:44 pm

TheKangaroo

Postby Sean OConnor » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:58 pm

Sean OConnor

Postby Fighter_Ace » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:06 pm

Fighter_Ace

Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Postby Quitch » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:03 pm

Quitch

Postby Paolo Sforza » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:34 pm

Paolo Sforza

Postby Andy Brown » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:02 pm

Spot on, Paolo.

For me, Firefight is an excellent reproduction of company level command, which is all about applying superior amounts of combat power at a decisive point.

I'm happy that the force options are being expanded. I'm happy that the AI is being improved. Better graphics is always good. I would like to see some other improvements which would enable the firefight player to more accurately do things that a WW2 company-level commander could do (for example, I would like to be able to specify the number of fire-for-effect rounds for each HE mission and I would like to be able to "Repeat" arty missions without having to go through the adjustment procedure all over again).

But, as a company commander, Firefight is all about troops to task eg "I want to take THAT hill and I'm going to use three squads to do it with everthing else providing direct fire support from HERE". It shouldn't be about micromanaging a squad-leader's fire control orders.

The great thing about Firefight is its simplicity. It's one of the few real-time games that a old joker like me can keep up with. Having done a few company attacks in my time, I reckon Firefight simulates the role of a company commander pretty well and it's tempo is pretty good.

Generally, the squads and weapons behave reasonably well. You send them someplace and if they see something, they shoot it. They may not shoot it perfectly but that's not what the game is about. If one of your squads is in trouble, the solution is to send another squad to help it out, not to fanny around with arcs of fire. The game provides you with all the tools you need to give units reasonable battlefield tasks "Go HERE, face THAT WAY, shoot bad guys".

There's no need for fire/hold fire options. The game is about combat, not recon. You may want the enemy to get a bit closer before engaging them. You may want to say, for example, "Sgt Smith, don't open fire until the enemy cross that road". OK, you can't do that, but the enemy can't either so it's not a disavantage.

The strength of Firefight is its elegant simplicity. Turning thought into action is about as simple as any game will ever be able to make it. A few compromises have been necessary to get it that way but none of those trade-offs significantly affect decisions made at the player's company command level.

The ideal solution to the engagement-range problem would be for each unit to have an "open fire" routine where the AI squad leader/weapon commander considers things like weapon effective range, the location and type of any other enemy, how scared they are etc as well as any instructions given to them by the player-commander. Simply allowing the player to set a specific "open fire" range is not always "realistic" because, under battlefield conditions, a squad leader may not always obey such orders or interprete them correctly.

At the moment, in my opinion, the game's realism/playability trade off is pretty good and I wouldn't want to see any micromanagement-type changes at this stage.

Andy
Andy Brown

Postby Andy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:04 pm

something thats been bugging me for a while now is that specific squads (HMG, flamethrowers especially, mortars, FGs etc) dont go where you ask them to - if i want a flamethrower under a tree on the objective and he sits his arse down 2 trees away and hiding behind it i get annoyed. with larger infantry squads this is fine, i dont mind them finding their own cover and spreading themselves out, but with what are effectively single point squads it would be nice for them to go exactly where you told them - if you want tem to find cover, put them behind a wall, if you want them 3 metres left of a tree, thats where theyll go. this might be addressed in 3.99 but im stil waitin around for 4.0, that and my internets down for the much foreseeable future and i cant d/l stuff at college :cry:
________
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Next

Return to Firefight