Game can get extremely frustrating

Command a squadron of spaceships
McLauren

Game can get extremely frustrating

Post by McLauren » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:35 am

One thing I have to congratulate you on is the difficulty of the new version, Sean. No matter how good your ship is, you still have to play smart. However, this can be a very frustrating problem in a game where when you die, youre dead.
Even if you backup your game before a mission that you know theres a good chance of getting killed, the game seems to seek out backups and mark them as dead as well. Whats the point in that? The game is supposed to be fun but I dont find it fun when I spend so much time playing it only to get hit by a stray friendly missile and its all over, gotta start all over again.
Ive got good tactics but the fact is that this game is fairly realistic in the combat, meaning that good tactics lowers your chance of dying but doesnt eliminate your chances of dying. I can no longer seriously play this game knowing that I will die and have to start over.
It also seems that enemy missiles do more damage than mine, far more damage. Ive hit a hornet in the side with 2 plectrons once and it survived. Yet when flying a hornet, I was hit in the side by one daycorn and BOOM! Gotta start all over. Also, one of my ships was hit by a plectron in the side and it blew. This was extraorndinary considering that this ship had a heavy sheild, tow standard sheilds, and 3 command centers, one in the front and two on each side. Yet once, as me and a squad member teamed up behind a watcher, it actaully took 2 genees, an orik, two daycorns, and two plectrons to blow up. All this in the rear, mind you. That was just insane!
The worst is when im just flying along and suddenly, a missile comes from behind me and destroys me in less than one turn. the missile was outta fuel even. Thats how unprepared I was. With mess like that, why cant we backup our games or something?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:10 am

I take your point about not being able to "cheat" and reincarnate a commander who has just died. However, that is exactly what I intended to happen in the game so it makes each mission more exciting knowing that you can't afford to take risks. Sometimes you may get killed in a freak accident but that's war!

BTW the effect of missiles hitting your ship or an enemy ship is exactly the same. The function that deals with that doesn't "know" if it's a friendly or enemy ship.

rich12545

Post by rich12545 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:40 pm

A workaround is to copy your save game file to another folder before every mission. There can be a fine line between realistic and fun.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:23 pm

Even copying your save game file does not work in the latest version. For that matter, you can't use two different copies of the game on the same computer.

When I was beta testing, I did everything I could think of to cheat and that included saving my games. Sean plugged every single hole despite my grumbling! Its still loads of fun, just the odds of going past 20 missions is very very small. I think I am the only person to get past 100 missions so far playing the game with unmodified mission files and without saving the game.

Fusion

McLauren

Post by McLauren » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:18 pm

As said above, there is a fine line between realism and fun. I barely ever play Critical Mass now because there seems to be no point. Im gonna die and have to start over, and there is no end. So what am I playing for?

And as for the missiles, the game must simply hate me because I rarely take a survivable internal hit. The thing is either unscaved or destroy. Perhaps my computer is calculating the odds again me.LOL!

Maybe there should be a feature where you can only backup your game every 15 missions or so, but absolutely nothing is ridiculous. Any difficult game should have save points or something and now this game seems to be no exception.

If not I suppose I could relegate Critical Mass to my cluster of 'waiting for download' games. I simply play these games when Im waiting for a download or install to complete. And since I have a cable modem, that isnt very long usually.

Im not trying to be a cheat. I simply dont think that having the stakes so high makes the game fun. In fact it makes me want to avoid the fight most of time.

McLauren

Post by McLauren » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:32 pm

Oh yea, dont you guys think the collision detection is a bit off with the new version. It was a bit better before, though it still wasnt quite right. Ive hit things my ship never touched, and missiles have hit me that clearly missed. Though the other collision system seems to make the ships seems smaller than they actually were, you could dismiss it by saying that the missile simply went under the wing and missed, or something lik that. There is no explanation for hitting an asteroid that you never touched. You could say a missile that was a near miss exploded on priximity, though.

The ultimate collision detection for critical mass could be when a ship's and another ship's/missile's triangles intercept each other. That would make the shape of a ship more important, and it would also make smaller ships harder to hit, giving them a better chance of survival in battle. The current system is killing me, literally.

sid6.7

hmmmmm

Post by sid6.7 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:00 pm

are you crying? stop it your fogging up my windows screen.....:)
if you run..you'll only die tired

McLauren

Post by McLauren » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:49 pm

Hey if if I feel unhappy with it might as well say it, as opposed to waitting and then blowing up later. (which im notorious for doing)

rich12545

Post by rich12545 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:08 pm

Again, you can save your save game. All you need to do is copy your .gam file to another folder. Then to restore, copy it back. Also, you can have two copies of the game at the same time. Simply make a folder, like Critical Mass 2, and copy all the game files there. No problem.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:03 am

Rich,

You are using an older version probably 3.x. The latest version does NOT permit saving the game. You can copy all the files you want to but you can't play the game.

Fusion

rich12545

Post by rich12545 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:53 am

Interesting. My version is 4.0a. It came in the package I purchased last weekend.

I started a game, saved it, and found the save game file in the Critical Mass directory. Then I copied all the files to a new directory, made a shortcut of the exe file and put it on the desktop, double clicked that shortcut and started a new game.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:46 pm

Rich,

Now that you have played a game from the new directory, go back to the old directory and try to play a game from there. You will get a message that you are trying to cheat and that your roll of honor file will be deleted and from that point forward, all your saved games will be invalid.

Fusion

rich12545

Post by rich12545 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:13 pm

OK, I see what you mean. But you should still be able to copy the files and then copy them back. Have you tried this?

Copy the save (.gam) and rollofhonor file to a floppy and then remove the disk. Then a couple games later remove those two files from your Critical Mass directory and copy them from your floppy.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:30 pm

Rich,

Please accept that I tried every way imaginable to cheat. You are welcome to try any and all methods you can think of to save your games(s) then go back later and play them. There's an old saying "lock your doors to keep honest people out, but a burglar will break a window".

Copy the .gam and rollofhonor files or copy the entire directory, unload the game and then re-load from a floppy, or any combination thereof. You can even try waiting until you get killed then immediately re-starting your computer. It won't work.

Fusion

rich12545

Post by rich12545 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:12 pm

heh heh. ok.
Anyway, I've only played one scenario so far. I came to this site looking at moab, really liked firefight (except for the zoom), but became hooked on slay. I'm going to start playing more cm in the next few days. The role playing elements interest me less than the tactical playing. It's too bad the save is so rigid since it can really ruin the game for some.