Custom Ship Design: Credit Accounting

Command a squadron of spaceships
M@Man

Post by M@Man » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:48 pm

I'm enjoying playing the game, as an old-time Car Wars player (never heard of? NBD.) I'm having problems with the design system. The point costs don't seem quite right, or I can't find the info on why. (I've already accounted for 4 credits due to adding additional missle types, thanks to this board.)

So, by way of example:

1. Take a test design and delete everything except the command center. This still costs 6 points. Ok, the chasis costs 5 points, right? Yeah, ok, undocumented, but ;) that's reasonable. (Car Wars offered multiple chassis types, with various weight & space allowances.)

2. At 1st I thought it would be a good idea to have wingmen, who could survive for a while, so I designed my Skeletons.

Front: 1 shield, 1 ML, 1 CC, 1 Radar; 12 credits
Sides (each): 1 shield, 1 RepBot, 2 Engines; 2x9 credits
Rear: 3 engines, 1 shield; 14 credits
1 rack of missles. (That's a niggle for another thread, BTW.)

Cost: 58, my math says 54 or 59 (if the chasis costs 5).

This discrepency gets worse as the ships become more complicated, at the rate of about 10% of the cost (13 credit difference if the ship costs 123 credits, before chasis costs). Also, RE: weight, there seems to be some discrepency related to cargo & passengers. I remember there being a couple point difference between actual & listed values...which leads to confusion. NBD, but it's there, so ya plays wit' it, right? ;)

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I found that I could center the missiles in the diagram by adding 2 racks, then removing the 1st rack (& similiar visual adjustments). The 2nd rack stays centered in the diagram, but perhaps this affects the math?

May be I've found some bugs, may be I there are additional factors that I don't know about, ya know?

n-drx

Post by n-drx » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:23 am

M@Man wrote:1. Take a test design and delete everything except the command center. This still costs 6 points. Ok, the chasis costs 5 points, right? Yeah, ok, undocumented, but ;) that's reasonable.

You're right, an empty ship costs 5 credits...

M@Man wrote:Front: 1 shield, 1 ML, 1 CC, 1 Radar; 12 credits

That's:
12 (front) + 18 (sides) + 14 (rear) + 5 (missiles) + 4 (penalty for new missile type) + 5 (ship cost) = 58
:lol:

M@Man

Post by M@Man » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:10 pm

M@Man wrote:Front: 1 shield, 1 ML, 1 CC, 1 Radar; 12 credits

[quote=n-drx]
That's:
12 (front) + 18 (sides) + 14 (rear) + 5 (missiles) + 4 (penalty for new missile type) + 5 (ship cost) = 58
:lol:[/quote]

Ok, I hadn't figured with the 4 point penalty applying for the first 5 missles (one rack), since I had understood that as a penalty for the 2nd, 3rd, etc. type of missle. ;) Of course, I would want it that way, if there's to be a penalty at all. It seems to me that that penalty is applied to the first rack already, since @8 points missile launchers are the most expensive component.

Hmm...I guess I should have said 49 or 54. Guess I tried to apply the ship cost twice. #) Still, doesn't explain the 10% issue for more complicated designs, but I'll run back through my figures. Thanks for the patience.

Some German Programmer wrote:I'm like Windoze. With 32 Bits, I think I can do anything. ("Bit"-burger is a beer.)