Credits

Command a squadron of spaceships
Wayne2182

Credits

Post by Wayne2182 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:32 pm

New player! Does anyone know the best ways to increase the amount of credits I have?

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:47 pm

Well... just play the game? The more successful you get the more credits you'll earn. As far as I know there is no fast lane to that.

M@Man

Post by M@Man » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:47 pm

TheKangaroo wrote:Well... just play the game? The more successful you get the more credits you'll earn. As far as I know there is no fast lane to that.

That's helpful.

Best tactic seems to be to go for kills (& survival), and ignore the mission objective as long as possible, especially for the Missions with the message "Some x were destroyed". Also, it seems like only your personal kills count, and not the squadron kills. You fire 3 Plectrons into a Heathen, and your wingman then takes him out with a Daycorn or a Drachan...too bad, not your kill.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:35 am

Yes, basically to get money faster you have to get better medals. You'll have to find your own balance between risking death and earning credits.
My webcomic:

M@Man

Credits

Post by M@Man » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:30 pm

Old Man Johnson wrote:Yes, basically to get money faster you have to get better medals. You'll have to find your own balance between risking death and earning credits.

;> Yup, and I've got to work on my dog-fighting skills (&/or recognizing when to eject). I haven't managed to survive more than 10 missions (or seen a ship worth more than 130 credits in the "available" list)...

Do you know if the medals awarded to the wingmen count (Squadron kills...reward for teamwork), or is it really just personal kills?

;) It'd also be nice, if you got awarded kills for guiding other people's missles into oppenents. (Sort of like the game of "torpedo tag" in the closing scenes of "Hunt for Red Oktober".) THAT I can do.

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:54 pm

Search the old threads.
This has been discussed in great depth before.

M@Man

Post by M@Man » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:15 pm

BoxZone_Author wrote:Search the old threads.

Sure, no problem with that. My _previous_ searches haven't apparently used the right keywords; so I haven't found the right threads/info (other than the missile cost issue). ;) I only registered with the forum so that I could write, instead of just read/search.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:20 pm

It's just personal kills that count toward credits, sadly. Try to steal kills from your teammates a lot. :D
My webcomic:

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:32 pm

M@Man wrote:
BoxZone_Author wrote:Search the old threads.

Sure, no problem with that. My _previous_ searches haven't apparently used the right keywords;

Fair enough. I had a quick search myself there and didn't find it.
People are so bad at not giving their threads useful; accurate; descriptive names.

The Credits you get are directly related to medals, and medals are related to:
* Completing you mission is good, failing it is bad.
* Ejecting is very bad, hyperspacing is slightly bad, surviving to the end is good.
* Killing enemies is good. The more things you kill the better, turrets and civilians are 'worth' a less than you might think. Concentrate on enemy fighters.
* Killing allies is very bad. (Even if it's their fault, or they had it coming for stealing your kills).
* The ratio of worth_of_ships_killed_by_you vs the_cost_of_your_ship affects the medals you get. Thus if you are flying a very expesnive ship it is extremly hard to get good medals (I've never got a GC when flying a >400 credit ship).
* Wingmen kills don't appear to count. But they can take kills from you, so (later in the game) you don't necessarily always want to spend all your credits (especially on an 'easy' mission).

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:44 pm

Old Man Johnson wrote:It's just personal kills that count toward credits, sadly. Try to steal kills from your teammates a lot. :D

*tsk tsk* I know. I mean, your wingmen don't even need the credits. How come you, wing leader, don't share in the profit? Aren't you the one supposedly planning this cunning strategy? Oh well, as OMG said, just keep taking those kills :P !
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:48 am

BZA, I just wanted to add that dying is very very bad. If you die, not only do you lose your commander (which makes you unhappy), you have like no chance at a good medal (which also makes you unhappy).

fighter_ace wrote:Oh well, as OMG said, just keep taking those kills :P !

Lol, OMJ stands for Old Man Johnson but OMG stands for Oh My God. that one made me laugh. :D
My webcomic:

Bob Janova

Post by Bob Janova » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:24 pm

I think dying is only very bad. On one occasion I have got a posthumous Gold Cross. Obviously, though, it's not to be recommended!

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:47 pm

Old Man Johnson wrote:Lol, OMJ stands for Old Man Johnson but OMG stands for Oh My God. that one made me laugh. :D

Aye che wowah! *Smacks his head* Ughh, sorry 'bout that. My clear thinking can totally leave me late at night :roll: ! Better start double-checking my typing when I am done :wink: !

-Off Topic-

Hey OMJ, you gunna be watching the SuperBowl today? I'm all set... got the fried chicken, crackers 'n cream cheese, loads of various drinks, chips, guacamole, oh... and a nice comfy couch! Not to mention five bucks on the SeaHawks 8) !
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

Wayne2182

Dying/Credits

Post by Wayne2182 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:13 pm

Thank you all for your helpful comments.
I have found that dying is very very very bad especially when you have been playing for a very long time.
On the other hand it does make you realise that you have just wasted an entire day on the computer!
I have just died after 22 missions, my personal best and am gutted! :cry:

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:23 pm

It is possible to die and at the same time get a gold medal. I've done this numerous times.

I am currently playing a commander with 430 missions. I have 7 Betelgeuse ships and can literally run over any opposition. The last time I was seriously threatened was down around mission 200. I'd like to get Sean to address this because the problem is tied in with the lack of seriously big ships for the AI. I may crack the ship dat file to modify the warrior into a more capable enemy. There is also a need for more really big missions like attack sector base or the all out WAR missions.

You haven't played a serious round on CM until you are up around mission 400 and Patrol Enemy Sector to meet 3 or 4 Warriors and 20 or 30 other decent sized ships.

If you want to see my name, just click on help:instructions:and at the bottom of the page click on credits. I'm at the bottom of the list LOL.

Fusion