[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Critical Mass Tactics

Critical Mass Tactics

Command a squadron of spaceships

69%
13%
19%

Total votes : 16

Critical Mass Tactics

Postby EA6B » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:05 pm

Last edited by EA6B on Wed May 17, 2006 9:16 pm, edited 16 times in total.
EA6B

Postby BoxZone_Author » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:39 am

Option D: "None of the above"

Fly through the turret formation at full speed, ahead of your wingmates.
The turrets all turn to point at you, but their missiles can't keep up.
Your wingmates lay into their soft exposed back-sides.

You don't get many kills yourself this way but turrets aren't worth much in terms of medals so your missiles are better used on other targets anyway.
BoxZone_Author

Postby EA6B » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:00 am

Last edited by EA6B on Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
EA6B

Postby Old Man Johnson » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:40 am

My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby EA6B » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:45 am

EA6B

Postby Bob Janova » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:09 pm

For turrets, I tend to have ships with a lot of forward radar and hit them with Oriks or Plecs from where I can see them but they can't see me.
Bob Janova

Postby BoxZone_Author » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:16 am

Ahhh.
For my tactic to work you need at least 3 steath on your ship so the turrnets don't see you until you're already through them (and the missiles they fire at you pass harmlessly behind you.

Thats an important point I left out!

BZA
BoxZone_Author

Postby EA6B » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:06 am

EA6B

Postby Old Man Johnson » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:49 am

My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby umeboshi110 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:46 am

i tried flying through the turrets and realized two things: you need to turn to avoid getting hit, and you need more than cheap ships. your wingmates need a lot more firepower and you should get a ship with some shields, just in case you get hit a few times, especially with 16 turrets, which i think is a little too many for a test like this.

and about the ship types, i mostly use fighters with enough firepower to be able to be used as bombers. i think that the fighter/bomber hybrid can be very useful, at least when the player controls it. ive also made a radar fighter, and it looks pretty cool :D
haven't really gone around to testing it though
umeboshi110

Postby ima_gnu » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:40 am

if theres no enemy fighters around? I pick a ship loaded with Oriks, and beat the hell out of em. If there are, I usually send my wingmates in and let them distract the turrets, then either sneak in and blast, or make several high-speed runs, usually breaking off before I enter the ring. The exit for me is usually lethal, unless I catch the turrets on the far side off guard.
I poop, therefore I am.
ima_gnu

Postby Fusion_power » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:21 pm

None of the above. The listed tactics for attacking turrets is ineffective in part because you are not taking into account the type of turret. The most effective tactic with turrets is to hit them from an angle and go around the circle knocking them out. This requires that your squadron also attack the ring to help keep some of them distracted. If the turrets are MKIV's, then you will not be able to use this tactic because they have massive shields. If they are MKIII's, then you should try to catch them turned toward one of your other ships so you can hit them from behind. If the missiles get too dense going around the circle, then you can dive out to safety with relative ease.

The above mentioned problems with attacking transmitters is easy to overcome. Just position your ship close to but on the opposite side of the transmitters from your other ships. The transmitters will turn to face you with their backs exposed to fire from your wingmen. It only takes a couple of hits to take them out. You don't get kills, but you do complete the mission. With a bit of practice, you will find the safe zones so the missiles don't hit you.

Fusion
Fusion_power

Postby umeboshi110 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:19 pm

umeboshi110

Postby The Ranger » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:57 am

I am a Ranger.
I walk in the dark places no others will enter.
I do not break away from combat.
I stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
I do not retreat, whatever the reason.
I live for the One, I die for the One.
The Ranger

Return to Critical Mass