Customise designs of built-in ships and missiles

Command a squadron of spaceships
n-drx

Customise designs of built-in ships and missiles

Post by n-drx » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:56 am

I wrote a little program that makes possible to change the design of the missiles and the built-in ships of Critical Mass. If you don't believe it possible, just look at the screenshots on my site! 8)

Also, this program will allow you to optimize the arrangement of missiles in custom ships, placing them one by one instead of by packs of five.

Read more and download at:
http://andreausai.siteburg.com/criticalmass/cmtdmm.html

qwas

Post by qwas » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:52 am

cool, ill try it out
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:37 pm

So far it hasnt ruined my Critical mass game yet, and I am very glad you made this andre. Its just what I've wanted.

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:12 pm

Ok after more tryingout, I have some suggestions for an update, I doubt all of these are possible, but I do wonder what the possibilities are.

1. To be able to edit the components of standard ships(I know people could "cheat", but so what. I want to be able to make better ships for the AI, so I have a challenge once my ships are bigger than warriors.
2. To decrease the cost of adding a new missile type from 4 to 1 in the missile thing, so I dont feel bad about putting only a few of one type of missile in.
3. To be able to add slots for ships(The current limits are very annoying).

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Re: Customise designs of built-in ships and missiles

Post by Fighter_Ace » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:27 pm

n-drx wrote:I wrote a little program that makes possible to change the design of the missiles and the built-in ships of Critical Mass. If you don't believe it possible, just look at the screenshots on my site! 8)

Also, this program will allow you to optimize the arrangement of missiles in custom ships, placing them one by one instead of by packs of five.

Read more and download at:
http://andreausai.siteburg.com/criticalmass/cmtdmm.html

d-drx, you just found the key to my heart! Dude, this is rocking awesome! Your screenshots look hilarious! Just one question, where do you obtain the code for reading the game data? Also, didn't you also make that CM ship tester? That one works like a charm and is the perfect thing for all my design needs!
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

socks

Post by socks » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:35 pm

nobody else seems to have tried this software is it a phony, have any of your friends used it fighter ace?

n-drx

Post by n-drx » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:22 am

Garnier wrote:1. To be able to edit the components of standard ships(I know people could "cheat", but so what. I want to be able to make better ships for the AI, so I have a challenge once my ships are bigger than warriors.

Such a program could be easily made (though I'm currently working on something else), maybe forcing the user to edit ships so that they don't cost less than before editing. Be aware, anyway, that in every mission the enemy has a certain number of credits to buy ships, so if you make better ships you also need to change the missions! :wink:

Garnier wrote:2. To decrease the cost of adding a new missile type from 4 to 1 in the missile thing, so I dont feel bad about putting only a few of one type of missile in.

This can't be changed since it's stored in the game. Sean added this penalty cost to prevent players to have too much types of missiles, and I think it should be left this way; the missile manager feature in CMTDMM is provided to permit a better adjustment of the missiles in their slots, rather than just let users add a few missiles of a type.

Garnier wrote:3. To be able to add slots for ships(The current limits are very annoying).

I think Sean is going to change this in the next version.

n-drx

Post by n-drx » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:28 am

socks wrote:nobody else seems to have tried this software is it a phony, have any of your friends used it fighter ace?

I understand your fears, but just use a good antispyware and you'll see that it's all ok! :wink:

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:38 am

I've tried it and I can assure you it does nothing harmful to your game or your computer. (At least, not yet, lol.)
My webcomic:

n-drx

Re: Customise designs of built-in ships and missiles

Post by n-drx » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:47 am

Fighter_Ace wrote:d-drx, you just found the key to my heart! Dude, this is rocking awesome! Your screenshots look hilarious!

Well, I'm really glad you like it! :) :oops:

Fighter_Ace wrote:where do you obtain the code for reading the game data?

I basically view the game .dat files in an hex editor, try to change something, and see what happens. It's not very fast, but surely it is rewarding! :)