New boy question for people to laugh at...

Command a squadron of spaceships
Zephyr

New boy question for people to laugh at...

Post by Zephyr » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:05 pm

Scenario - You have a custom ship and want to change the missile load. You take 5 of one type off and put 5 of another type on. Both types of missile are the same cost, so why does the ship cost change?

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:32 pm

if its a type of missile you dont yet have on your ship, it costs more. Costs you five credits per group if you have the missiles already and nine if you don't.
I poop, therefore I am.

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:38 pm

AH! Thanks buddy!

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:25 pm

no problem d00d :lol:
I poop, therefore I am.

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:59 pm

A few more questions if somebody would be so kind -

1) When placing radars, does it make any difference where you put them? For example, if there are more radars on the sides of your ship than on the front, does that extend your radar range to the sides, or is it just the number that you have that's important?

2) Is there an order or priority that repair bots repair things, or is it random?

3) Are there any hard and fast "rules" regarding if you get a Gold Cross or not, like if you hit a friendly ship or get less than a certain percent hit ratio or anything?

Cheers!

Bob Janova

Post by Bob Janova » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:32 pm

1. Yes; radars increase the view distance on that section of the ship. That's why you can sneak up behind an Eagle and not be seen, despite its decent forward radar.

2. They randomly repair any smashed internal components.

3. I think the game calculates points depending on things you destroy, and then compares them to the cost of your ship to calculate your medal. Destroying friendly ships is a very bad idea! AFAIK hit ratio doesn't matter.

Fuzzy Wonky

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:11 pm

Hello Zephyr!

Not really laughable... We've all been new at it. :roll:

This is an important point. While Radar only work in the direction of whatever side of the ship they are mounted on, Stealth objects work for the whole ship. As regards this, see BZA's site:
http://www.btinternet.com/~boxzone/OtherGames/CriticalMass/Critical_Mass.htm
-- NEITHER FOR NOR AGAINST (quite the reverse!) --
LIFE'S A TRAP. WE WON'T GET OUT OF IT ALIVE!

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:30 am

Cheers guys, I'm really getting into this!

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:49 pm

Umm, hit ratio has a huge effect on the medal.

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:51 pm

Garnier wrote:Umm, hit ratio has a huge effect on the medal.

It does?! Ya learn something new every day I guess. I never thought that counted due to the fact that I waste missiles faster than you can shout "fire"! Where did you read that, Garnier? The instructions? or was that just an assumption?

Zephyr wrote:Cheers guys, I'm really getting into this!

Yeah, it is indeed loads of fun :D ! And as far as I am concerned, this isn't like most public forums. That's part of the beauty of this place. No one is gunna call you a "friggin n00b" just because you don't know something! Hey, you got questions... we got answers! Part of the game is mastering every aspect of it :wink: !
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

umeboshi110

Post by umeboshi110 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:27 pm

from what i know, hit ratio doesnt help too much unless its really high

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:30 pm

And as far as I am concerned, this isn't like most public forums. That's part of the beauty of this place. No one is gunna call you a "friggin n00b" just because you don't know something!

I'm not too sure about this but I believe that got to do with the actual number of people frequently visiting the forums. Let's face it: Sean's games, compared to the big-time-cash-productions, are rather unknown so in comparison we are quite a few here. Less people makes less people who start bad things automatically I guess.
I got the sensation on other forums that, after a certain number of -pardon my french- assholes is reached, the guys you actually like to talk to now and then start disappearing. I myself more than once let go on a forum because I just got sick and tired of everyone commenting on absolutely everything I ever write. Kind of increases the 'bad-guy-percentage' even more and so on. Well, I don't know.

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:45 pm

when there is a "bad-guy" on these forums such as "The Truth" and now "The return of The Truth", it is just a laugh for the rest of us until he gets banned

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:12 pm

I agree that this is a LOT friendlier that some forums I used to use! I can also honestly say I'd rather play Critical Mass than 95% of big ?50 blockbuster games!! A couple more questions for you gurus if you'd be so kind!

1) When you're hit squarely from behind, why do front components sometimes get destroyed and rear ones don't?

2) Does anybody else suffer from the "asteriod bug" as I call it? Whenever I save a game, shut down the program and then load it up later, all the asteriods are drawn as 90 degree segments, from 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock, like a slice of a pizza cut into four. As soon as I change the zoom slider it redraws them all properly. (My website is down at the moment so I can't post a screenshot but I'll email one to anyone that's interested.)

3) Are any components "stronger" or more/less survivable than others when you're hit, or are they all the same? Is it random what gets destroyed on the side you get hit?

Thanks again!
Dinosaurs aren't extinct, they're just hiding behind things.
Kangaroos are just mice standing much closer to you.

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:40 pm

I will answer as best I can

1) I suppose that the missile is supposed to plunge into the spaceship, so it hits in the back and punches a hole to the front, rather than scraping off the rear of the ship.

2) I dont..

3) Shields are more survivable, but apart from that I think they are all the same. It is definitely not random, but I dont know how it decides what to kill.