Question about game file

Command a squadron of spaceships
Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:55 pm

I can see both sides to this one, but when it comes down to it, I'd prefer not to be able to resurrect dead commanders. The point of the game is to play it as best you can - if you play well, you advance, if you **** up, you die. This is life! If you were guaranteed to live forever then where would be the fun in doing anything? Also, unike life, when you die in CM you can shrug your shoulders and try again!
Dinosaurs aren't extinct, they're just hiding behind things.
Kangaroos are just mice standing much closer to you.

Bob Janova

Post by Bob Janova » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:51 pm

The entire game is written around you dying when you die. If you didn't, you'd quickly find that missions get really dull; once you get to mission 100 or so the challenge is much reduced as it is. You need to learn how to play to avoid getting killed, which is different from most games, so it's frustrating to start with.

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:04 pm

I agree 100%
Dinosaurs aren't extinct, they're just hiding behind things.
Kangaroos are just mice standing much closer to you.

aaarrrggghhh

Post by aaarrrggghhh » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:53 pm

*buries head in hands*
STOP TRYING TO TELL ME WHAT IS "FUN" AND WHAT ISN'T, BECAUSE IT'S GOING TO BE DIFFERENT FOR YOU THEN IT WILL FOR ME!!!
If you dont think it would be fun, you dont have to do it! God, this conversation is almost as fusteration and getting hit by a purple missle out of nowhere and dieing in 1 turn.

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:42 pm

Then, I'de suggest that you ask someone in PM. I know some users around her that can revive your pilot. That way, the answer on how to do it won't be sitting right here forever just waiting for people to get ticked off with their bad flying skills and peek at it just to ruin their gameplay forever :x !

EDIT: *breaks out laughingImage* I can't help it! Your SN fits so perfectly with your last post!
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

aaarrrggghhh

Post by aaarrrggghhh » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:55 am

Heh, yeah, my username was picked based on the fact I was allready seriously aggravated.
Anyways, I'd happilly ask in a pm so as not to tempt other, but I have no idea who actually knows.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:21 am

Me either. The problem is that most people on this forum, seeing resurrection as "not fun", would not have bothered to find out how to do it. If anyone knows a lot about how the game works, though (other than Sean himself, who would never tell anyone how to cheat), its n-drx, but he might not tell you either.
My webcomic:

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:22 am

I'm pretty sure (in case you get a "no" from n-drx) Box_Zone_Author also knows :wink: .

@ "aaarrrggghhh":

Lol! I thought you were implying the sound of when you drop a para on the game "Mother Of All Battles" :lol: .
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:36 am

That's such a weird sound. o_O I never thought it was a person yelling. I figured it was just some random thing.
My webcomic:

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:20 am

I like the sound when you cast Bloodlust as an Orcish shaman in WC3.
I poop, therefore I am.

Mangin

Post by Mangin » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:23 pm

I also don't understand why someone would want to "cheat" as such. As has already been mentioned, the game would be so tedious if you didn't have to worry about death. Especially once you have a really powerful ship, which is almost certain to happen if you keep on resurrecting your KIA commanders.

That said, I have known several people who would also want such a feature if they had the game. For instance, one of my friends, who was actually a pretty good C&C player, always used to play at a difficulty level which he could consistently beat - now where's the challenge/fun in that? But hey, if it makes him happy then that's his right...

P.S. ima_gnu - is that commander of yours for real??? Why aren't you on BoxZone's league table?! Are you just waiting for the commander to finally die before you submit or something? I don't think I saw anyone there topping 400 missions, or with anything like a 99% success rate?

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:51 pm

He died and I exited cm before the mission ended, because I was mad. Now he is still in the "Recent Games" list, but I "cannot open game file because commander is dead" and he is not on the roll of honor. Hes like...in limbo, or something. I also have a commander who just died at mission 219 with 100% win ratio, but I used about twenty missions of my own construction instead of the defaults, so I felt his success was not valid for BZA's list. 1200 kills in 200 missions, and 100% success....something like 119 GC's. He'd annihilate all the categories, and nobody would be able to top it. So I just keep him to myself :P
I poop, therefore I am.

Mangin

Post by Mangin » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:19 pm

Ah right. Fair point regarding the use of your own custom missions - otherwise I guess people could just create one mission involving a horde of defenseless shuttles, disable all other missions, and proceed to post a monster score! :D

But if I understand correctly, for the 1k missions MIA commander you did not in fact use any custom missions? Any custom ships perchance?

Anyway, I've only just started playing Critical Mass properly and I'm really starting to like it. As with aaarrrggghhh I haven't yet managed more than 25 missions but I hope to post a respectable score on BoxZone's page before long!

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:46 pm

definately custom ships. I'll show you my main line!

These first ones are a series I created after my last big commander died, so I havent had a chance yet to try out the Heavy and Super Cruisers.

Ten points to whoever can tell me what game I copied the Light, Medium and Heavy Cruisers from!! (I'll give you a hint, its Novalogic game)

ImageImageImageImage

The two plane ones were just ideas I had, they arent very well done, I was just playing around.

ImageImage

Now this, this is my piece de resistance. Or however that goes. I spend a tremendous amount of time drawing this one, and I'm still not done, but it looks pretty pim, ya? You may have seen my earlier attempt at a copy of the USS Enterprise, but this one (I think) is much better

As you ca well tell, I prefer ships of the turn & shoot variety rather than the sneak & snipe kind. Dont get me wrong though! I do like sniping, I have BZA "Sniper" and "Omniscient" for my "Attack the ____" missions.

Cheers! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I poop, therefore I am.

Mangin

Post by Mangin » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:16 pm

Looks really good! So your 1k missions commander piloted one of your custom ships for most of his illustrious career? Do you think he could have come close to his tally if he'd been flying say a Warrior?

Oh, and how much would you charge for a Mitsubishi A6M Zero prototype? :wink: Requirements: high thrust, INCREDIBLE turning ability, virtually no armor! :)

@aaarrrggghhh: Maybe you could buy some of the lower-end models from ima_gnu to see you past mission 25? And once you have enough to buy that BZA Enterprise, you probably won't need to worry about resurrection any more!