New boy question for people to laugh at...

Command a squadron of spaceships
Fuzzy Wonky

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:55 pm

Zephyr wrote:2) Does anybody else suffer from the "asteriod bug" as I call it? Whenever I save a game, shut down the program and then load it up later, all the asteriods are drawn as 90 degree segments, from 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock, like a slice of a pizza cut into four. As soon as I change the zoom slider it redraws them all properly. (My website is down at the moment so I can't post a screenshot but I'll email one to anyone that's interested.)

I do. Sometimes I got asteroids sliced from 9 to 12 o'clock, sometimes from 6 to 12. This just doesn't happen when the zoom slider is on 1 or more at the moment I shut down, only when it's on less than 1 (I usually have it on 0.69). It has always been so, don't know why...
Easy to have it corrected, though: just change the zooming to max, then slide it back to the scale you want it. Well, of course, you have to do that each time, but this is no really exhausting task, is it?
-- NEITHER FOR NOR AGAINST (quite the reverse!) --
LIFE'S A TRAP. WE WON'T GET OUT OF IT ALIVE!

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:56 pm

I'll add my experiences

1) Genereally components on the side that gets hit my the missile are more likely to be damaged but any component can be destroyed.

2) Never see it.

3) No reason to suspect some components are more robust than others.

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:52 am

Zephyr wrote:I agree that this is a LOT friendlier that some forums I used to use! I can also honestly say I'd rather play Critical Mass than 95% of big ?50 blockbuster games!! A couple more questions for you gurus if you'd be so kind!

1) When you're hit squarely from behind, why do front components sometimes get destroyed and rear ones don't?

2) Does anybody else suffer from the "asteriod bug" as I call it? Whenever I save a game, shut down the program and then load it up later, all the asteriods are drawn as 90 degree segments, from 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock, like a slice of a pizza cut into four. As soon as I change the zoom slider it redraws them all properly. (My website is down at the moment so I can't post a screenshot but I'll email one to anyone that's interested.)
3) Are any components "stronger" or more/less survivable than others when you're hit, or are they all the same? Is it random what gets destroyed on the side you get hit?

Thanks again!

Did you know that you can just upload your graphics to any image hoster and use them on the forum with the (img)*image URL here*(/img) tag? Just replace the parentheses with "[" and "]". I highly recommend sites like www.photobucket.com and www.imageshack.us!

TheKangaroo wrote:I'm not too sure about this but I believe that got to do with the actual number of people frequently visiting the forums. Let's face it: Sean's games, compared to the big-time-cash-productions, are rather unknown so in comparison we are quite a few here. Less people makes less people who start bad things automatically I guess.
I got the sensation on other forums that, after a certain number of -pardon my french- assholes is reached, the guys you actually like to talk to now and then start disappearing. I myself more than once let go on a forum because I just got sick and tired of everyone commenting on absolutely everything I ever write. Kind of increases the 'bad-guy-percentage' even more and so on. Well, I don't know.

Yes, I must admit, popular forums tend to get "that way". There are so many users that it takes loads of attention if you are ever going to become respected! The moderators also seem to get more aggressive as the numbers increase. Believe me, a nice guy that has been "flamed" oh too many times, this place is nice! If you are all nice and pretty about everything on large forums, you get walked all over... and no one cares! And yeah, correction comes at you from every direction. Allot of hypocrisy involved if I do say so myself. I think this place also contains more "gentlemen". Lots of manners and good behaviour (usually *snickers*). It sure makes me want to come back again and again that's for darn sure :wink: !
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:27 am

Fighter_Ace wrote:Did you know that you can just upload your graphics to any image hoster and use them on the forum with the (img)*image URL here*(/img) tag? Just replace the parentheses with "[" and "]". I highly recommend sites like www.photobucket.com and www.imageshack.us!!

Cheers mate, let's have a go -

Dinosaurs aren't extinct, they're just hiding behind things.
Kangaroos are just mice standing much closer to you.

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:30 am

Yeah that does look messed up! I must say, I'm glad that hasn't happened to me :P . Lol!
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:56 am

I think another reason the forums are nicer here is the fact that you know most of the people after a while, being as there are relatively few. You tend not to shout at your friends, lol.
My webcomic:

Mangin

Post by Mangin » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:14 am

Ya I know what you guys mean about this forum. Would be quite weird for a forum of this size to have a semi-official newbie strike team like some of the other ones I've been on LOL.

Since this thread is about dumb newbie questions I have one of my own - do the amount of medals you've earned really affect the amount of credits you have? Seems the effect is miniscule at best...

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:16 am

The credits you receive for a mission are directly related to how well ou did in a mission, as is the medal but they are not directly dependent on each other.

You also get extra cash for being promited (number of kills overall) which appears to have no effect on the medal for that battle.

Losing (while bad for medals (though it is possible to get a GC and fail the mission)) results in poor cash income.

Winning (even if you kill nothing) always gets you 4 credits.

Goblinarcher

Post by Goblinarcher » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:00 am

i always thaught that part of the reason these forums are so freindly has to do with the type of games sean makes. there thinking games and the maturity level of people who play them are usually higher. tho im sure the whole indi games not beeing well known thing has a biiger impact.

n-drx

Post by n-drx » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:17 pm

Mangin wrote:do the amount of medals you've earned really affect the amount of credits you have? Seems the effect is miniscule at best...

Yes! Here are the values for each medal type:
MoH = 1 credit
MoCB = 2 credits
MoOC = 4 credits
GC = 8 credits

There's only another thing that affects the number of credits, and that is the number of successes. Each successful mission gets you 4 credits, as BoxZone_Author has already said.

BoxZone_Author wrote:The credits you receive for a mission are directly related to how well ou did in a mission, as is the medal but they are not directly dependent on each other.

You also get extra cash for being promited (number of kills overall) which appears to have no effect on the medal for that battle.

I can't agree with you. Image I'm sure there's not any relation between the number of kills and the number of credits! Image

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:37 pm

d-nix wrote
BZA wrote:You also get extra cash for being promited (number of kills overall) which appears to have no effect on the medal for that battle.
can't agree with you. I'm sure there's not any relation between the number of kills and the number of credits!

Thats not what I said.
I said that being promoted got you extra cash.
Being promoted happens after a fixed number of kills overall (sum of kills for all missions up to and including this one). Having lots of kills in any one mission does not get you extra credits.

Mangin

Post by Mangin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:19 am

Thanks very much guys! :)

n-drx

Post by n-drx » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:42 pm

BoxZone_Author wrote:I said that being promoted got you extra cash.

Never noticed that!

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:11 am

While we're doing newbie questions...

I assume that missiles have a "stealth factor" of zero, so if you're flying a really stealthy ship does that mean that you become visible the first time you launch? Also, do you get anything for causing an enemy to eject? (Apart from the fact that there's one less enemy ship about!)
Dinosaurs aren't extinct, they're just hiding behind things.
Kangaroos are just mice standing much closer to you.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:12 pm

The first effect you mentioned indeed does work... at least for the enemy. Have you ever 'took a little glance' at the objective to defend just to notice there's quite a few missiles about to smash it? :D
As for the second: I'm not quite sure, but I believe it will be listed as a kill as long as noone else destroys the wreck (it will explode by itself after some time).