Tell me now.

Command a squadron of spaceships
ima_gnu

Tell me now.

Post by ima_gnu » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:11 am

Does that random plectron with no remaining fuel always came in to screw up your day, causing you to break off of your GC-earning kill because you dont have the armor to take that hit?

Are you frustrated by the fact that you always end up in the middle of the fight with no way out but death? Does the fight just...errupt around you with no warning?

I may have the answer!

Actually, its late, and I'm feeling like a goof, so I made this into an advertisement. All I wanted to do was make a suggestion that has paid off HUGE for me. I fight with my zoom at .59! Granted, you dont get to see all your awesome little details at that range, but I will gladly sacrifice pixels for GC's!

It always works for me, helps me keep an eye on whats going on nearby, so I have at least an extra turn worth of adjustment available to me. I'm sure there are other people with far more experience at CM than I, but I myself can almost always tell exactly what the next move of any given ship within my .59 view. Knowing when a ship is going to fire (but sometimes not WHAT its going to fire) is a VERY helpful skill. Unfortunately, it only comes with ENDLESS WEEKS OF NOTHING BUT CM.....just kidding. lmao. Like I said, its late. But yeah, try it. You never know!
I poop, therefore I am.

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:22 am

I generally use .47 for the same reason, but what annoys me is that the zoom resets for every mission! :evil:
Dinosaurs aren't extinct, they're just hiding behind things.
Kangaroos are just mice standing much closer to you.

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:42 am

I know! I find that to go much farther makes it difficult to tell exactly what missile is chasing you, though. Could just be my ancient 19" screen though :P
I poop, therefore I am.

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:23 pm

It's even harder on a 14" laptop screen :lol:

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:14 am

rofl, I'd imagine so!
I poop, therefore I am.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:01 pm

Well, I like my standard 1.0x zoom and instead keep an eye on that radar screen. If in doubt I still can scroll around to take a closer look at what's going on. Anyway I guess your advice can be pretty useful if you aren't bothered by things getting a bit smaller on screen.

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:07 pm

but see, the thing about the new CM is that missiles dont show in the Radar!
I poop, therefore I am.

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:52 am

Most of the ships I design tend to be big and a bit clunky, without much fine detail, so that they still look good even with a low zoom.

EA6B

Post by EA6B » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:23 am

I sometimes go through several zoom levels before planning my moves. On the one hand, a low zoom level is nice because you can see more of the battle. That way, you can plan two or three moves ahead. On the other hand, a high zoom level is useful for doing precision moves. For instance, you have Daycorns on your tail, and a spread of Plectrons coming in from the side. If you slow down, you'll be hit by the Daycorns. If you turn at the wrong angle, you'll run right into the Plectrons. The only way out is to make a high speed turn directly between the Plectrons. In those sorts of situations, I prefer a high soom level.