Air and Sea Units?

Real time World War II combat simulation

Air and Sea Units?

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:02 am

I would like to see some air and sea units... the air units would have to have some "base" like an airfield for refueling, etc. The sea units would have to function outside of radio contact because of their disance (maybe some battles fought boat-boat of boat-land providing cover for land units' attack on a fortified position, etc)
Just a thought but it would be much better if all 3 aspects (Army, Navy, and Air Force0 where looked at? Could be good...

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:37 am

I think that's beyond the scope of this game as it's meant to simulate small scale engagements. Realistically if some bombers flew over or there was a naval bombardment then everyone on the screen would either be killed, wounded or shattered and unable to fight and the game would be over.

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:48 pm

Sean O'Connor wrote:I think that's beyond the scope of this game as it's meant to simulate small scale engagements. Realistically if some bombers flew over or there was a naval bombardment then everyone on the screen would either be killed, wounded or shattered and unable to fight and the game would be over.

Yeah, sometimes simple is better! No kidding that would ruin the game! But what might be something cool would be jeeps or transport trucks. Jeeps could be used to tow field guns or transport small numbers of units fast across a battle zone. (Maybe even add a light machine gun to it for small defense) Transport trucks could take large numbers of units or even whole squads to a desired point fast but at the risk of being blasted by a shell. Just something to think about :roll: .
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:00 pm

Yes, I'd like to add jeeps, trucks, half-tracks armoured cars etc... but my problem is doing the graphics. I need to find a top notch graphics artist who is prepared to work for peanuts.

frawsty

Post by frawsty » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:04 pm

to just make some sprites? i can prolly help you. what are the dimensions etc?
Johnny
--------
http://www.funkyfreshdesigns.com
Web Dev, Game Dev, Computer Support, Networking and more!

Small Scale Engagements...

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:41 pm

Sean O'Connor wrote:I think that's beyond the scope of this game as it's meant to simulate small scale engagements. Realistically if some bombers flew over or there was a naval bombardment then everyone on the screen would either be killed, wounded or shattered and unable to fight and the game would be over.

Yeah... I see what you mean... I didn't mean huge fleets or such... just like a plane or two that may be able to locate large numbers o enemies before ground-based units could? also able to have a quick missile launcher... I didn't mean huge scale or anything... same with boats... like planes could just be for recon... locating enmies easier, etc... Navy could provide SSMs for cover fire or even transport tropps accross water to more desirable locations? Just some thoughts...

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:52 am

Sean O'Connor wrote:Yes, I'd like to add jeeps, trucks, half-tracks armoured cars etc... but my problem is doing the graphics. I need to find a top notch graphics artist who is prepared to work for peanuts.

Whoah! Id'e love to see those too but I was kinda hesitant to ask. If you ever managed to add such units, I think not only would it open more options for you to pick from (instead of just men, tanks, men, tanks... making each battle less original and more boring!) it would add more excitement to the game! BTW, what price do most graphic artists cost to pay, and what is the amount you prefer to pay?
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:07 am

I assume most charge more than it's worth for these projects, and I also assume Sean would prefer to pay as little as possible.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:04 pm

howabout ammo trucks, paradrops etc, with the ability to be in a ridiculously big bang and land in the wrong place, and get used by the enemy

Tim_Myth

Post by Tim_Myth » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:03 pm

Post the specs of what you need Sean. I'm sure many of us would love to have our graphics included in your game. I know I'd do it for a mere honorable mention in the help section.

Just a word of advice, Civ IV is going to be the most modable version of Civ ever, and they will be using Python. Why am I telling you this? Because if you take too long posting the specs, I'll be too busy modding Civ to create anything else. :D
By Request DJ & Karaoke Company - Yesterday's Traditions, Tomorrow's Technology.

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:58 pm

Sean O'Connor wrote:Yes, I'd like to add jeeps, trucks, half-tracks armoured cars etc... but my problem is doing the graphics. I need to find a top notch graphics artist who is prepared to work for peanuts.

it seems we have the half tracks now, listed as 'troop carriers' or somesuch, but no ability to carry troops

also something i just got thinking about - what about wider rivers/small lakes/ponds in the area, with arty having a lesser affect when landing there. would end up with situations with units taking a while to get somehere with not too much cover, but arty having little damage on them.

whilst im thinking about scenery, what about things like small cliffs/quarries etc, long ridges that cant be attacked, but marvellous to defend?
________
Ferrari 125 specifications
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:04 am

Sorry I disagree. The scale is small. The map is small. Imo there is no need for troop carriers.

Big Red One

Post by Big Red One » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:32 am

I like the idea about the ships but maybe having small ships (patrol boats and maybe landind craft) and i like the idea about the planes how about only 1 plane for recons. If you do have land infantry transports you should have them go as fast as a tank but as fast as infantry in trees, or a river, or something like that.
Last edited by Big Red One on Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fenris

Very few radios.

Post by Fenris » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:10 am

Troops on the ground had enough trouble maintaining communications with their HQ, let alone airplanes.

For the scale... allowing infantry to ride HTs or on the sides of tanks (very dangerous, but some Red Army soldiers did do this), or trucks make sense. Trucks make sense for a possible "irregulars ambushing convoy" scenario perhaps, although there are normally too few vehicles to have an actual convoy in the game... tank riders, maybe. Not that they'd actually stay on or in the vehicles once contact was made.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:39 pm

Actually soldiers of all sides rode on their tanks quite regularly.