problems with user account & Critical Mass

Command a squadron of spaceships
Jan

problems with user account & Critical Mass

Post by Jan » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:21 pm

I don't know much about Critical Mass, except that my son really loves it! I ordered it for him on 3/9/2005. We are having one problem with it, however. He must have downloaded it onto my user/desktop (an administrative account), because it runs perfectly when he uses it there. When he signs on to his own user/desktop (a limited account on the same computer), the game doesn?t work properly. It won?t save his games, for example.

My guess is that we should reinstall Critical Mass on my son?s desktop, but he doesn?t want me doing anything with it, because he?s afraid I will cause problems. If we reinstall it, can my son?s characters/files, etc., be saved?

n-drx

Re: problems with user account & Critical Mass

Post by n-drx » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:21 am

Hi Jan, I presume the game needs administrative privileges to run properly.
This is something people have already talked about here, I assume that Sean hasn't fixed it yet:
http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2634

Yet, if you set your son as an administrator, he will be probably asked by the game to delete the RollOfHonour.dat file (losing any still alive commander too).
Critical Mass Tools - Download here

Jan

Post by Jan » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:33 pm

n-drx,

Thank you for your answer, and for sending the link. I guess we'll put our hopes in what Sean posted on July 3:

"It's because in the latest version I've used the Registry to store an ID number so it's harder for people to cheat and resurrect their commanders. It's the first time I've used the Registry so I'll have to take another look and write it better so there are no admin rights issues."

How will we be notified when there is a solution to this problem?

- Jan

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:49 pm

I'll guess Sean is going to include this in the list of bugs fixed and features improved as soon as a new version of Critical Mass is released, what - let's face it - probably will take quite some time. My advice is to either let your son play CM from your account (and try it yourself sometime...) or to try to install it from his account and see whether or not it's running as soon as his current commander is lost anyway.

Jan

Post by Jan » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:21 pm

Thank you, Kangaroo. I guess that's what I'll do. - Jan

Jan

Post by Jan » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:39 pm

Well, now I am embarrassed! My son tells me that I misunderstood him. He says that it is actually the GAMES that he cannot save on his limited desktop. He says he thinks the problem is with the computer, not with the game. I don't know what to think. - Jan

PlecTron

Post by PlecTron » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:10 am

ummm.... my freind has the same problem... hes using an old 98 he was given by school. its ok, the graphics works welll enough for this, but it wont save ANYTHING. ie not the commanders file, the save file, the rollofhonor file, the designs file, ANYTHING. though strangely if u save game and specify location, it will save, though it wont save roll of honor so it makes no diff. and nothing on the computer even makes an error log.....
WHAT? WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "Critical System Errror"?????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!