Some ideas for orders.

Command a squadron of spaceships

Are these good ideas?

Yes
40%
No
10%
yes and no (meaning some are good, some are bad.)
50%

Total votes: 10

Copperhaired Berserker!

Some ideas for orders.

Post by Copperhaired Berserker! » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:52 pm

How about you have these:

Barrage: That means you can make a area on which your wingmen will fire into, using purple and orange missles, which means you can make a "plananx" of missles for defending and perhaps attacking. It would be very bad on ammo though, and should be used wisely.

Cover: That means your wingmen will stay very close to you, and take the missle hits. Risky but brilliant if it works.

Kamekaze: that means your ships will charge into the enemie's ships, and keep firing. Once again, risky, but will work wonders if it pays off.

And a a suggestion not related to orders: How about a type of repair bots but for AMMO? But it would only fill it up to how much missles was there at the start, and use types of missle that you have in that particularship, so you couldn't get Yatari missles if you didn't have them in the first place. There is my ideas. Critical Mass is really good.
Excuses are a refuge of the weak.
A open-mind is like a fortress that is unbarred and unguarded.
Sacrifice is the best form of respect.

-Quotes from Warhammer 50k: Dawn of War.

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:15 pm

The repair bot to "create" ammo is interesting - it would have to be quite slow, and more expensive than a standard bot, otherwise you would rely on it too much. Yes, I like it!!

I must say, in all honesty, that I don't really think much of "barrage" or "kamikaze". Isn't "cover" kinda the same as using tight spacing?

I would like to see some kind of emergency laser weapon. It would have to be fairly weak (as it would only be used as a last resort to stop you relying on it), fire only in a straight line forward, and be "instantaneous" (it covers the entire sector instantly as a laser would). It could be fuelled by a "power pack" that can be purchased in the same way as an engine or a radar, that gives you x number of shots depending on how many you buy. How many times in early, cheap-ship missions have you been the sole survivor of your squadron and run out of missiles *just* before the starbase or the last factory or whatever was destroyed? :evil: Give it a couple of zaps with your laser to finish it off!

I agree with Copperhaired Berzerker that more formation options would be nice, such as "inverted wedge", and more squadron orders such as "attack this target". Or how about just "STOP F****NG ABOUT AND ATTACK THE F****NG OBJECTIVE!!!" :lol:

BTW, welcome to the forum dude! :D
Dinosaurs aren't extinct, they're just hiding behind things.
Kangaroos are just mice standing much closer to you.

umeboshi110

Post by umeboshi110 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:38 pm

i would love to see a "hold fire" order. many times, in the middle of dogfights, i get in a good position to shoot down an enemy, but one of my guys gets behind me and im like DONT FREAKING SHOOT ME!!! and try to use avoid contact to make him go away, but i know he will anyways, and he shoots as he turns around to "avoid contact" and hits me. it makes me mad when i have to eject.

Copperhaired Berserker!

Post by Copperhaired Berserker! » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:58 pm

Zephyr wrote:The repair bot to "create" ammo is interesting - it would have to be quite slow, and more expensive than a standard bot, otherwise you would rely on it too much. Yes, I like it!!

I must say, in all honesty, that I don't really think much of "barrage" or "kamikaze". Isn't "cover" kinda the same as using tight spacing?

I would like to see some kind of emergency laser weapon. It would have to be fairly weak (as it would only be used as a last resort to stop you relying on it), fire only in a straight line forward, and be "instantaneous" (it covers the entire sector instantly as a laser would). It could be fuelled by a "power pack" that can be purchased in the same way as an engine or a radar, that gives you x number of shots depending on how many you buy. How many times in early, cheap-ship missions have you been the sole survivor of your squadron and run out of missiles *just* before the starbase or the last factory or whatever was destroyed? :evil: Give it a couple of zaps with your laser to finish it off!

I agree with Copperhaired Berzerker that more formation options would be nice, such as "inverted wedge", and more squadron orders such as "attack this target". Or how about just "STOP F****NG ABOUT AND ATTACK THE F****NG OBJECTIVE!!!" :lol:

BTW, welcome to the forum dude! :D

Thanks for the nice welcome. :D

More ideas: "Machine gun" ammo. The machine gun would be very weak but long range, it would be unaimed though. The gun would really be used for harassing, but useful against unshielded ships. You would click on a clip and you would have 3 turns (As in time) of bullets.The gun would of course be rather weak, and just used to keep the enemies on their toes.

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:08 pm

umeboshi110 wrote:one of my guys gets behind me and im like DONT FREAKING SHOOT ME!!! and try to use avoid contact to make him go away

I think it's actually quite realistic that squadron orders seem to take a turn or two before they're obeyed, even down to the level that if you're flying in "line" formation and make a sharp direction change, your wingmen don't instantly make the turn with you. I suppose that's the time taken for you to radio your orders!

Thinking about it, I suppose a gun would be better than a laser - even though we're in the future we're still using chemical-propellant rockets! Logically, in space, a .38 Smith + Wesson is just as deadly as a laser - constant velocity and all that physics!

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:18 pm

:lol: I just pictured a pilot leaning out of the cockpit firing a revolver.

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: ROFL!!! Redneck commanders!! "YEEEEE-HAW! Take that, you varmint!!" while spitting tobacco!! I love it!!!

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:41 am

what about high-power ion propusion? perpetual and constant acceleration!
I poop, therefore I am.

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:59 pm

I agree with Copperhaired Berzerker that more formation options would be nice, such as "inverted wedge", and more squadron orders such as "attack this target". Or how about just "STOP F****NG ABOUT AND ATTACK THE F****NG OBJECTIVE!!!"

To my mind, this is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT addition to the game as I'm sick of having to take out the mission objective myself!

I try to keep my formation together until I'm on top of the target by using the 'stay in formation' command (though even with this, they still tend to wander off and slug it out with any passing fighters) in the hope that some of my wingmen will take the hint and attack it - but they usually get distracted and start shooting up civillians...! :roll:
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

Copperhaired Berserker!

Post by Copperhaired Berserker! » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:56 pm

TheKangaroo wrote::lol: I just pictured a pilot leaning out of the cockpit firing a revolver.

Nice joke! : :lol:

Oh, and the cover thing is meant to be that your wingman are so close to you, that you are basically kissing them. That would be good for attack fortified bases (And also very evil :twisted: )

EDIT: A even better idea:

Always hate it when your bomber doesn't attack the turrets or your scouts charging head long into territory with out backup? Here's my idea. Each ship had a "objective" or agenda, as you may call it. So that means if you want your heavily armed ships to attack those turrets over there you would give the ship the "bomber" agenda. If you want your fighters to divert attention from you weak but precious ships? You would pess "fighter." What if you want a heavily shielded ship to defend your convoy or politician? You would press guardian. :idea:

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:11 pm

I'd prefer a little less complicated system of let's say designating starbases, turrets, etc. (depending on the mission) as objectives, which shouldn't be hard as they already have to be marked somehow to determine whether you win or lose the mission, and adding the order 'Attack primary target' making your wingman concentrate their fire on the objectives.
The weak spot of that is, that it would also bad if the wingman stubbornly blasted away on the objective without defending themselves anymore...

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:02 pm

Yes, it's a compromise between your guys yelling yee-ha and chasing the first enemy thing they see, versus single-mindedly going for the objective and getting splatted from behind. I just find that 99.9% of the time they tend to do the former!

I don't think it should be made overly-complicated, otherwise it would stop being a fun little space shooting game and become a major strategy sim!

Copperhaired Berserker!

Post by Copperhaired Berserker! » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:34 pm

It wouldn't be too complicated, and hey, the harder it is, the more fun you have when the enemy that used to thrash you would be put to the sword. :wink: