Idea for people who have trouble testing their ship/mission

Command a squadron of spaceships
Old Man Johnson

Idea for people who have trouble testing their ship/mission

Post by Old Man Johnson » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:19 am

What about a single mission test? Where you pick a mission, you have infinite credits, and all ships are available for purchase? However, no records would be saved. This would greatly help people who want to test expensive but uncertain ships, and for making sure your mission is beatable. I would also think this would make a fun option for those who are "in-between" commanders or just can't get a good commander going. (It's almost impossible for me to get on the Roll of Honour now, the lowest Commander is, well a Commander and he has 2 Gold Crosses, 2 Medals of O. C., and 1 Medal of C.B.)
My webcomic:

R2D

Post by R2D » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:46 am

I agree with this idea, I very much want to be able to use the ships I have created to verify their usefulness (or lack of), immediately. This can happen outside the scope of the regular gameplay, since I feel that HOPING to see one of my creations within the current game structure, sometime in the future...maybe...if I survive, just to test one of 20 or 30 designs, is far beyond ridiculous, and even cruel. I have had fun creating about 10 designs of my own and downloaded many more from the available sites, and have yet to see more than 5 in all, none of my own, in 28 missions and 3 days of playing....VERY frustrating, and I believe soon, a killer of the enjoyment this game could provide.

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:34 am

theres a limit of how many commanders you can have on the ROH? I didnt know that :P

theres only 13 of them on there....and 6 of the 13 are commanders where I was just trying out a super-cheap ship design...so they only have one or two missions. The others....[win/total(kills)].......22/25(67),
22/22(39),
27/27(197),
23/23(70)....then I got my good ship series' going...

260/261(307),
219/219(1206)
I'm still working on the next commander...currently on mission 228 w/718 kills.

for the two with extreme kill/mission ratios...I had several custom missions enabled with high numbers of turrets on them.
I poop, therefore I am.

Copperhaired Berserker!

Post by Copperhaired Berserker! » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:59 am

That would actually be a good idea. I hope Sean updates this brilliant game! :)
Excuses are a refuge of the weak.
A open-mind is like a fortress that is unbarred and unguarded.
Sacrifice is the best form of respect.

-Quotes from Warhammer 50k: Dawn of War.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:07 pm

I think we'll have to wait for that quite a while, though I don't mind. If I remember correctly Sean was going to give Mother Of All Battles a major overhaul after he's done with Firefight 4.0. Well, I might be wrong on that, too...

n-drx

Re: Idea for people who have trouble testing their ship/miss

Post by n-drx » Mon May 01, 2006 12:50 am

Old Man Johnson wrote:What about a single mission test? Where you pick a mission, you have infinite credits, and all ships are available for purchase? However, no records would be saved. This would greatly help people who want to test expensive but uncertain ships, and for making sure your mission is beatable.

the idea is very good, yet I'm afraid too many players would abuse it, especially if new to the game...

my solution is: the test mode could be limited to the maximum number of credits you ever earned with a commander (being it dead or still alive).

so, if your 300-missions commander just died (or if he's still alive, but you don't want to risk his life with ship tests), you can test ships in test mode still taking advantage of the same credits that that commander had/has...

yet, first time players won't have much more than the initial 350 credits, and won't ruin their gameplay...

:wink:
Critical Mass Tools - Download here

drwhite7

Post by drwhite7 » Mon May 01, 2006 2:23 am

the idea is very good, yet I'm afraid too many players would abuse it, especially if new to the game...

my solution is: the test mode could be limited to the maximum number of credits you ever earned with a commander (being it dead or still alive).

so, if your 300-missions commander just died (or if he's still alive, but you don't want to risk his life with ship tests), you can test ships in test mode still taking advantage of the same credits that that commander had/has...

yet, first time players won't have much more than the initial 350 credits, and won't ruin their gameplay...

Thats a really good point n-drx!

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Wed May 03, 2006 8:51 am

R2D wrote:I feel that HOPING to see one of my creations within the current game structure, sometime in the future...maybe...if I survive, just to test one of 20 or 30 designs, is far beyond ridiculous, and even cruel.

This is a very good point. If you've got a commander who's doing really well, you don't want to risk using a new, untried ship, and possibly lose him.

Did I read somewhere that there's a limit to the number of custom ships (about thirty-something) that are actually "in-play", i.e. allowed to be used, at one time? Say you've got fifty-odd custom ships of the same cost, do they all have the same chance of appearing to be used in a mission?
Dinosaurs aren't extinct, they're just hiding behind things.
Kangaroos are just mice standing much closer to you.

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Wed May 03, 2006 5:55 pm

39 appears to be the largest number of custom ships you can import into the game at any one time. Sean has stated that this was not supposed to be the case (it's on his 'to do' list to look at it). Whenever I import (or create) the 40th custom ship; one of the previous 39 gets removed to make room. :(

umeboshi110

Post by umeboshi110 » Sat May 06, 2006 8:47 pm

the game also gets screwed up if you click copy on a ship in the middle of the list and then cancel

Hammer

Post by Hammer » Sun May 28, 2006 11:23 pm

Speacking of custom missions, does anyone know where you can find them?, I've only ever found two of them.

Can you use custom ships in custom missions?

Akfrost

Post by Akfrost » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:47 am

you can always correct the memory address so you'd be on mission 1000 or something. I do this so I can test out my ships.

Quorad

Post by Quorad » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:03 am

Akfrost wrote:you can always correct the memory address so you'd be on mission 1000 or something. I do this so I can test out my ships.

Explain.
日本語がわかる。