[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Suggestions for the next version of Slay

Suggestions for the next version of Slay

Conquer the island

Postby gruff » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:38 am

You just autoplay the other sides. That's all. It's not a very accurate simulation of the Second World War.
gruff

deep and shallow water

Postby Orlando » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:42 pm

Orlando

Re: deep and shallow water

Postby sid6.7 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:10 am

sid6.7

A compromise for manual hut placement

Postby MelGrubb » Wed May 03, 2006 6:05 pm

There seems to be a lot of disagreement over this issue, so how about this solution. For a fee you may build extra huts on your land. In the event that your "bank" gets smashed, and you've built other huts, one of them becomes the new bank. If you don't build additional huts, then the game will auto-pick a location as usual. If you DO build additional huts, then it merely needs a way to pick the best one. You could pick whichever one is the most "central" or you could pick the one that's closest to the old bank. You would, of course, want options to enable/disable this behavior for the AI players in order to keep the game fair.

If you want to expand on that rule, you could allow the player to designate their bank so that they can move their money to a more protected location. Having said that, it takes time to move resources from place to place. I would think that when designating a new bank, all NEW resources would be stored there, and you would draw resources from the old bank until it's empty. This prevents players from "instantly" moving their resources in order to dance around their opponents, but still gives them a way of moving resources slowly when needed.

I'm opposed to changing the rules too much, since I've enjoyed the game as it is (albeit a demo version... I have kids, therefore I live on demos). The simple, easy to understand rules are key to the game's longevity and addictiveness. I think giving the players the ability to build land bridges, or use boats to skirt the coastline picking the ideal spot to attack would take away from that charm.

I would like to suggest one item that wouldn't change the gameplay any, but might add a little more visual variety to the maps. If a "water" tile (or collection of tiles) is landlocked, why not display mountains there instead? It would give the landscape a little more variety while not chaning the gameplay. In these cases, the palm trees might look a little strange, so you could replace them with another kind of plant... I'd suggest the pine trees, but theyre already being used. You COULD introduce a third tree icon, something more like an oak shape. So the oak takes the place of the pine, which now grows around the mountains exactly like the palms do at the edge of the water. Through themeing, you could convert the mountains into impassable deserts, and the "edge" trees into cacti. This would give you a way to provide a bit more visual variety this way without impacting the excellent rules and gameplay.

Someone will point out that a "lake" which is only two hexes removed from the external edge of the map would allow for odd behavior such as cactuses spawning palm trees, but who cares. It's just a graphical mod, live with the weirdness.
MelGrubb

Postby Hernalt » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:50 pm

Hernalt

Postby axel » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:25 am

axel

Postby marzzbar » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:32 am

marzzbar

No Surrender

Postby JimW » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:07 am

Any chance we could have an option which tells the AI to never offer surrender?

I prefer to play my games out to the bitter end, and like others, enjoy trying to improve my performance by winning in 'x' number of days.

Invariably, I occasionaly accept surrender on accident and it just plain messes up my stats!

(I apologize if this has been requested before....I searched the forum and found no specific mention of it but may have missed a previous post).

You could also display this 'mode' on the challenge screen so that when folks post screen shots as proof of good play, it'd remove confusion. A flag in the slay.dat file (to record win method) could serve that purpose as well.

Best regards,

JimW.
JimW

Postby manicman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:43 am

Before anything else is done the ability to play online should be expanded. the computers are bad but I can only play within my ip address and people are rarely online.
manicman

Postby svogal » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:32 am

Minor improvements:
- middle mouse button buys a castle
- Enter ends turn
- Space switches to next playable territory
- information window: current territory size in hexes (it updates when player captures land)
- second column with probable income, wages & savings on the next turn
- remove license number from About box so others cannot steal your number
- browse subfolders with custom maps (e.g. add combobox with subfolders in map selection dialog)

Future version:
- allow larger maps (e.g. 60x40)
- record scores for custom maps
- customize keyboard/mouse
- other victory conditions for multiplayer (e.g. have two barons to win, build 15 castles, have single territory of 50 hexes)

MAP EDITOR

Minor improvements:
- shift/roll/rotate/mirror the map
- add "Play" command - instantly switch to Slay and play the map
- map browser: add directory/file pane on the left & clicking on file opens the map (this could be useful for previewing downloaded maps)

Fancy things:
- map arithmetic: combine existing maps to create new ones (add, subtract, xor)
- generate random map in the editor
- cut/copy/paste selection

Scenarios & Campaigns:
- user can paint territories, put men, buildings & trees, edit money for territories
- user can name players (e.g. Germany, Rebels)
- display users text before playing (introduction to scenario, credits, etc.)
- other victory conditions (e.g. control area, defeat yellow player)
- multimap campaigns (load next map after victory)
svogal

Postby Teknogamer » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:08 pm

First. to bring up an old suggestion selecting starting positions in map editor is a must.

It would also be nice if one can select which color they are (both in created maps and challenge maps).

Lastly scripting in the map editor would open up a lot of possibilities. Meaning, to script events when a player reaches a certain point, such as text appearing or changes in the map/players. This would allow themed maps to be much more successful (text appearing based on certain triggers could allow a storyline to be depicted, changes in map or soldiers could allow different type of game styles, such as a race to certain point).

Somewhat along the same lines, allowing special hexagons to be created would be nice; either to spice up the regular game by allowing bonuses when a certain hexagon is surrounded (extra money, or troops cost less etc...), or for new game types, for example a map where you need to surround three separate hexagons to win (a "king-of-the-hill" type of game).
[though this latter point would affect the "classic gameplay" it could be a fun option for player-created maps]

Perhaps it would also be interesting to allow for parts of the map to be shrouded in darkness (ala age of the empires) and would be uncovered as you go go forward.

Also, though I have no idea whether this is complicated or not, it seems that the AI could use a boost in understanding the monetary facet of the game. Numerous times, even on very clever, they'll place all their men together in a fashion where it's easy to cut them off.
Teknogamer

Postby Legacy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:24 pm

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!
Legacy

Postby Teknogamer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:46 pm

Teknogamer

Postby Legacy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:24 am

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!
Legacy

Postby Teknogamer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:45 pm

Teknogamer

PreviousNext

Return to Slay