Cheap Desighns?

Command a squadron of spaceships
Hammer

Cheap Desighns?

Post by Hammer » Sun May 28, 2006 10:44 pm

So, another newbie question, are there any design tactics that are considered cheap or unfair?
I've made some reasonably inexpensive ship designs that are loaded up with engines and have very low shields. They do lots of damage and survive pretty well, are they unfair or did I get lucky and come up with a good idea?

Thanks for any ansewrs.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Mon May 29, 2006 4:58 am

Not unfair, rather, is the way it is intended to work. You can design some pretty good ships that rely on speed and good turning ability. Try putting a couple of stealth on the rear of your ship. It will at least double your survivability in a small ship. Its nearly useless though on the higher missions.

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Mon May 29, 2006 8:37 am

I'm on Mission 460, have seven of my Bomber Mk. IIII ships, at $336 apiece. They have six stealths, three repair bots, and loads of other stuff. in the last thirty-seven mission, I have lost two to destruction, and about sixteen have hyperspaced - and 2 out of 3 hyperspaces are because they have no more missiles. You all know how reliable wingmen are - they ALWAYS get blown up or sent home.

My point is that stealth is defianely far from useless in latter mission ;) Thats all :D
I poop, therefore I am.

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Mon May 29, 2006 9:32 am

I'd rather have stealth, repair bots and high turn ratings to shields anyday.
Dinosaurs aren't extinct, they're just hiding behind things.
Kangaroos are just mice standing much closer to you.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Mon May 29, 2006 8:50 pm

Ima,

You're not above mission 700 yet. I did say "higher missions".

Fusion

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Tue May 30, 2006 7:48 am

lol, I figured once you could afford seven 300+ credit ships, you were about as high as you were going to get. I dont think it gets any harder past where I'm at!

<3
I poop, therefore I am.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Tue May 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Its a matter of missions presented and squadron size. Once you reach mission 370 or thereabouts, you should be able to afford a full group of highest cost ships. At that point, the missions presented will be concentrated on the more difficult ones such as attack sector base, etc. The number of enemy ships flying against you will be at a maximum. The stealths under those conditions become relatively ineffective. I.E. you can achieve the same results with a ship that has no stealths at all.

When did you learn how to cheat?

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Tue May 30, 2006 10:29 pm

Fusion_power wrote:
When did you learn how to cheat?

:shock: what? :shock:

lol, you lost me there. What do you mean?

And I hear you there, they missions presented are much more difficult. I actually created some of my own because the defaults were too easy :P

My point is that NO wingman I have ever seen has survived as proficiently as this one, and I am certain that the presence of stealths on their ships has a great deal to do with that.
I poop, therefore I am.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Tue May 30, 2006 10:50 pm

Pardon, but many people who manage to get over mission #40 do so by manipulating the save files.

A few have managed to make ships that can keep them alive indefinitely. You may have reached this point.

Fusion

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Wed May 31, 2006 5:46 pm

Pardon, but many people who manage to get over mission #40 do so by manipulating the save files.

Fair dinkum? I always thought I was just too stupid as I've been playing for months now and never made it past 40, yet.

Fusion_power

Post by Fusion_power » Wed May 31, 2006 9:07 pm

no Kanga, its not fair, its cheating. I know how to manipulate the files, but I don't. Its much more fun to play to the best of your ability.

Let me assure you that you can get over mission 40 without cheating. I've played up to mission 700 and above a few times. You will need some really good custom ship designs, but otherwise, its relatively easy.

Fusion

Bob Janova

Post by Bob Janova » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:25 pm

Once you get to mission 100 or so it really doesn't get any more difficult ... okay, so your wingmen can have better ships, but really that just means they can launch more missiles into your arse :wink: .

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:29 am

LOL!! :lol:
Dinosaurs aren't extinct, they're just hiding behind things.
Kangaroos are just mice standing much closer to you.