Separating load-out and chassis?

Command a squadron of spaceships
Fenris

Separating load-out and chassis?

Post by Fenris » Sun May 28, 2006 7:23 am

Would it be possible at some point to separate the ship design from the missile load-out?

I could see assorted ship hulls being useful for multiple roles, but with missile configurations chosen when equipping for each mission, rather than needing to create multiple designs which are identical save for exact missile config.

McLauren

Post by McLauren » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:35 am

Yea I think that the ships should be able to have SOME of their loadout editable, but not the whole thing. I think A bomber should be able to swap maybe one or two bundles of plectrons for daycorns or whatever if they are going into a mission where there is a high amount of defending ships. Or vice versa and a fighter could carry a few heavier missiles if it is going into a bombing mission. But the bomber should still be a bomber and the fighter should still be a fighter, just being able to interchange a small portion of it's weapon load.

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:24 pm

It would be very boring to have to select your missile load for every ship at the start of every mission.
More flexable certainly, but lets keep the logistics quick and get on to the combat.

Bob Janova

Post by Bob Janova » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:48 pm

Ships could have a default missile setup, so you wouldn't have to select missiles unless you weren't happy with the normal ones.

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:05 pm

I agree with McLauren, BZA and Bob J. (Never very comfy, sitting on the fence... :-))
Dinosaurs aren't extinct, they're just hiding behind things.
Kangaroos are just mice standing much closer to you.

dpm_dpmartin

Yup, this would be a great design point...

Post by dpm_dpmartin » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:16 pm

I agree with the concept of having missile load-out defaults that can be changed as well. I am a great fan of Daycorns but like to have a row of 'heavies' for tight situations. Currently, for different mission types, I do find myself 'designing' a few variants of my favourite hull - in Fighter, Bomber and Defender modes - these settings are equal to all Daycorns, a combination of Daycorns and Yataris and a combination of Daycorns and Geenees respectively. A default setting still allows you to get to the scrap quickly, but allows you to have one ship and load up different missiles without having to waste time having to swap your ship out - that is if the ship you want is even available. The precedent for doing this would be fighter jets... i.e. Sidewinders, AMRAAM, Paveway, Maverick, Brimstone and Storm Shadow are all perfectly capable of being fitted to Harriers (or will be!) - and are chosen for the mission at hand.

Critical Mass could really benefit from a number of extra toggle settings that each user could save as per their personal preference - I won't list them as they've all been mentioned in other threads. But, hey, why do I get so worked-up, after all - Critical Mass ain't real... is it?

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:46 am

ever read the book "Ender's Game"? He's playing what he thinks is a game and is in fact demolishing several alien societies.
I poop, therefore I am.

qwas

Post by qwas » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:21 pm

:lol:

Maybe you could allowed to switch one set of missiles just for that mission? Then you could add a bit of flexibility without it getting too annoying.
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:43 pm

ima_gnu wrote:ever read the book "Ender's Game"? He's playing what he thinks is a game and is in fact demolishing several alien societies.

(At the risk of going off-topic) What was that film where aliens had sent an arcade game down to Earth to find out who was the best player, then came down and took them off to fight in a real space war?

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:59 pm

not a clue, Never heard of it :P
I poop, therefore I am.

dpm_dpmartin

Twas...

Post by dpm_dpmartin » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:12 pm

The Last Starfighter... "defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada"!

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:30 am

Woo hoo, that's it! :D Very cheesy in places but quite entertaining!

(Sorry all, back to the topic!)