Ever thought about manning a turret?!?

Command a squadron of spaceships
cavemaniac1

Ever thought about manning a turret?!?

Post by cavemaniac1 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:43 pm

In a recent game all my ship's rear engines had been knocked out, and I was at a complete stop with the battle raging all around me. Seeing as I was flying a Falcon with no repair-bots, I thought about hitting Hyperspace, but as my ship was relatively intact, there was no immediate threat and I had a good load of missiles left, I decided to stick around.

I'm glad I did because I had a terrific time potting off at everything that came past (four missile tubes and loads of unguided missiles is my favourite configuration!).

You know how it can sometimes be tricky to get near a crippled ship to finish it off? Well, this time it was ME who was piloting the crippled ship!

I was getting a damn good hit rate - much better than the AI gets! Just for a laugh, try it for yourselves. Stop in the middle of a battle and pretend you're a turret. You've thrashed the hell out of every other aspect of CM by now so you're probably looking for a new challenge!

It set me to thinking:- a multiplayer game with humans controlling the turrets would be a VERY different proposition!!!
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

Akfrost

Post by Akfrost » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:51 pm

yeah, except one plec up your rear and and you're finished, not to mention you can't dodge any missiles, which real human players would have no trouble hitting you with. lol. that's why turrets are expendable in most missions.

cavemaniac1

Post by cavemaniac1 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:21 am

yeah, except one plec up your rear and and you're finished, not to mention you can't dodge any missiles, which real human players would have no trouble hitting you with. lol. that's why turrets are expendable in most missions.

Hur hur!

Actually, I'd quite forgotten the wole 'human player attacking the turret with great accuracy' thing!

However, I stand by my previous posting.

Turrets are in place to defend strategic targets like starbases, factories etc (and of course the less obvious strategic targets like 'asteroids and empty space' that you encounter in some missions!)

While turrets are sacrificial picketts, the opperator can always eject when it gets too hot.

Build yourself a turret that has nice strong rear armour - the weight won't be an issue as you're not going anywhere!

Turn to face incoming enemy ships. Turrets invariably have REALLY strong front armour.

A human operated turret in an asteroid field would give attacking ships a real challenge. As it stands, the AI turrets are easy pickings (my favourite mission!!) because they rely too much on guided missiles so they hold their fire too long, hoping for a clear shot. A human operator, proficient with unguided missiles would be as happy as the proverbial pig in s... blazing away at anything that moved...!

Anyway, just a thought.

Anything that makes the game more interesting!
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:47 pm

I've just tried this and it's pretty cool!! Give yourself lots of shielding, lots of stealth, 4 launchers, 4 bots, loads of radar, and one rear engine to get you to where the action is!
Dinosaurs aren't extinct, they're just hiding behind things.
Kangaroos are just mice standing much closer to you.

Akfrost

Post by Akfrost » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:25 pm

that's called a super hornet.