incorrect number of armies

A boardgame of world domination
Bad_Elmer

incorrect number of armies

Post by Bad_Elmer » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:52 am

OFTEN while playing online, one of us sees more armies on several countries than there actually are. Sometimes it's less, but usually more. This obviously makes it very difficult to play a fair game. I've often not tried taking a player out because they appear to be stronger than they are. Any ideas why this is happening and if anything can fix it? Anyone else have this problem?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:45 am

I'll look into this. Anyone else come across it? Does it happen when the armies have got very large, say into the hundreds?

Bad_Elmer

Post by Bad_Elmer » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:17 pm

It happens with small numbers of armies....for instance it looks like there are 15 when there is only 1.

Here's what I THINK might be happening.....

A computer player trades and places his armies. I see these armies but my opponent doesn't. Then when my opponent attacks the computer, the lower number becomes reality. I think that if I attack first, the larger (and true) number becomes reality. I also think, but am not sure, that I (as the host) have always seen the larger amount. As far as I know this has only happened in games with 2 human players.

duanemay

Post by duanemay » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:18 pm

Something simlar happened to me yesterday. A friend and I were playing via network, and it stopped responding for a while... I was trying to move armies. I clicked the button a number of times and it didn't respond... soon I had over 300 on one country and a negitive number on the other... This was great since I started with a number in the mid 20s... when I got attacked on the negitive army country an error message poped up... then the game continued... and I wiped out the entire board on the next turn with my 300+ armies....

Tfar Craw

I have on every network game...

Post by Tfar Craw » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:03 am

One easy way to repeat is yo start to move units at end of turn then abort.
I play every Tuesday night and always see this issue and other unit count issues. It is easy for us to tell because we are on an IP Voice server.

I can help any way you want to resolve this and other issues. Just let me know.
I can come up with a list of issues if you like.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:28 pm

I've pretty much re-written the network code now for version 4.0 and given it a good test so hopefully this bug has now been fixed. Send me an email and I'll reply with the latest version.