Ugh! Big problem. Help?

Real time World War II combat simulation
Dunkirk

Ugh! Big problem. Help?

Post by Dunkirk » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:31 am

I have been playing this game nearly daily since I purchased it (early June, I think), but as of two days ago, something got bent up, but good...

Game opens properly, and I can select/create a campaign or single game. However, upon being given my objective, the game starts to chug, and by the time I am setting up units, the lag is so great the game can take 2+ minutes to respond. It usually ends up taking my whole machine down.

When I first started playing, I determined that I had to run in 16 bits, but when doing so, it worked fine. Now, for some reason, even in 16 bits, its a dog. I ran the 'T' key and got the following stats of note:

Stage 1 draw objects = 35ms
Stage 2 draw controls = 55 ms
Frame completion = 90 ms
% time working = 150% (+/- 20%)

From reading related threads, I believe these are abnormal times. I just can't imagine what is causing this. I have noticed that, around the same time this all began, my wireless mouse has become unresponsive; don't know if that is related to an underlying problem. I have run AdAware, SpyBpt, and Norton, without detecting malware of any sort, and I have not (knowingly) made any material modifications to my system, save updating my video driver just this afternoon, in a bid to fix the screen-painting lag.

I am running v 3.99t, and have been since purchasing the game.

Thoughts?

Andy

Post by Andy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:40 am

mine started doing that. its because of the black mess up in the bit you cant use.

send sean an email and upgrade to 4.0, the problem is sorted there
________
Mazda Kabura specifications
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:54 pm

I've speeded up the "Draw Controls" segment in version 4.0 by replacing the shaded out effect with a red diagonal lines and as Andy says that may solve your problem. Send me an email and I'll give you the new link.

Dunkirk

Thanks

Post by Dunkirk » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:26 pm

Thanks for the prompt responses, both. Sean, I will send an email directly.

This is one of the absolutely best games I have ever played. Thank you for it.

statto

Post by statto » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:58 am

I am having the same problem even with the red diagonal lines playing jungle... as soon as I click on the HQ the game just completely locks up and freezes the whole system. I had VB and Windows Media Player in the background but restarted and tried again and the same thing happened.

Manie_de

With version 4.0 it is still choppy

Post by Manie_de » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:29 pm

It's been a while since I've played my last game of FireFight, but this weekend I started over again.

In the second game of a campaign suddenly all went choppy and my mouse only reacted with a huge delay (scrolling, selecting dragging the movement arrows.

Looking in my process list FireFight used nearly 95% of CPU time (which will explain the unresponsiveness) :-)

I'm using Win XP with 1 GB RAM and an up-to-date graphic card.

Something I can do to avoid this kind of slowdown ?

Thanks and bye,

Martin

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:01 am

Try running the game and press the T key and it will show you the game's timings. Each of the 4 stages needs to stay below 20. Most computers have no problems doing this but some have slow graphics cards and struggle with stage 4. This is often because your graphics card drivers are not optimised for the colour depth you have set your screen to.

You could try making sure your drivers are up to date or turning down the colour depth to 24 or 16 bit colour.

I don't know why Windows goes so strange when it has trouble with the slowness. It just seems to give up and die a bit rather than run a little bit slower!

Manie_de

Post by Manie_de » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:25 pm

Thanks for advice, but today after a few minutes after starting a campaign game my computer froze completely (and Firefight used all the cpu time).

After rebooting I tried the same game with the 'T' key and it says:

Stage 0: from 0 to 4
Stage 1: from 58 to 70
Stage 2: from 8 to 12
Stage 3: from 0 to 4

Then I quitted FireFight ans started again (same map) and now all went fine (no freezing and all stages are well below 20).

On my laptop (also Win XP, same RAM but older processor) the game runs fine !

Martin

BTW, have you received my email from the 7th December (about your "buy two, get the rest for free" offer from the last newsletter) ?