Infantry vs. Tanks

Real time World War II combat simulation
sfoster

Infantry vs. Tanks

Post by sfoster » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:50 pm

First of all, great game!

I am still fairly new, but I have already have had the situation where my tanks are knocked out, artillery is out of shells, and all I have is infantry (A LOT of infantry) against a single enemy tank. I have not found a way to defeat the tank. Is there a way that I haven't found, or am I in a no win situation? If it is no win, does retreating help my evaluation or should I wait for time to expire?

Thanks!
Scott Foster

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:12 pm

I don't think it's a no-win-situation right away. What kind of infantry have you got? Flamethrowers can be real tankbusters, for me mortars have been doing it quite well. If comes down to standard squads it still depends since late-war German infantry carries Panzerfausts for example. If it's all gone already I'm not too sure whether or not you still stand a chance with grenades. It all depends on the terrain as obviously hand grenades aren't too effective in the desert, but having lots of woods around it might work...
Still the greatest option of course would be if you managed to capture your objective without even having to deal with the tank. See if you can find a way of moving a few of your squads around it without being seen (stay behind hills and woods). Sometimes the tank won't make it to the objective to retake it before the battle ends.

Andy Brown

Re: Infantry vs. Tanks

Post by Andy Brown » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:59 pm

sfoster wrote: ... or should I wait for time to expire?

If you're attacking, you should note that the game times out after two hours.

If you've got no anti-tank weapons, you've probably had it. Firefight doesn't seem to do infantry close assault against tanks.

Andy Brown

Andy

Post by Andy » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:58 am

mortars are ok for 'pushing' a tank off an objective - if your defending and it sits on your hill, landing rounds just inside the tank will cause it to move towards the outside.

personally ive gotten round the anti tank dilema by modding my HQ so that all commanders carry flamethrowers. this has led to me being surprised at where the enemy HQ will put itself - on attacks i often get a spurt of flame from the hottest part of the battlefield right on the frontline, wheras im sat up on a hill in the rear defending against a tank rush and getting that all important signal...
________
vapir oxygen vaporizer