[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - An exception to the rule

An exception to the rule

Command a squadron of spaceships

An exception to the rule

Postby cavemaniac1 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:55 pm

I've found what seems to be an exception to the '30 turns with no combat' rule.

I recently had my ship shot up so badly that I couldn't steer but, not being in any immediate danger, I slowed down and stopped just inside the zone boundry box.

The mission objective destroyed, the enemy fighters hyperspaced out and my wingmen set to the task of blowing away the remaining civillian transports.

This was accomplished in short order, and as they expended their missiles, my wingmen departed for home.

Except for one... He found himself an abandoned Tanker and lined it up in his sights, then backed off, then came a bit closer, then he had a look around for a bit, then came a bit closer, then sorta backed off, then nosed in for a closer look........ This went on for ages!

I'd been hanging around hoping my wingman would finish off the darn tanker so the mission would end - without me having to admit defeat by either hyperspacing or leaving the zone.

After about a hundred turns and there was still no indication that my wingman was going to actually fire any of his remaining missiles, I returned to my ship where, to my delight, I discovered that my one remaining repairbot had done a bang up job of restoring the damaged systems.

Steeering now working, I made for the dissabled tanker which only took a couple of missiles to finish off - my wingman having made no attempt to fire his.

This ended the mission.

So, there you have it - aprox 100 turns, no missiles fired or anything else that could be considered combat.

It must also count 'combat' as sighting the enemy.
The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...
cavemaniac1

Postby TheKangaroo » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:14 pm

I completely agree with you the rule actually is '30 turns without threat contact'. I also noticed that after all enemies are killed the mission doesn't end until all missiles either run out of fuel, hit something or get out of sight.
TheKangaroo

Postby umeboshi110 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:20 am

well, i tried it and it seems true. i guess the rules now is 30 turns of no combat, which includes missiles firing and enemies in sight. also, the mission doesn't end if there are missiles flying with fuel left. it doesn't matter if they are in sight or not.
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
umeboshi110

Postby TheKangaroo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:20 pm

Hm... how do you tell when they're out of fuel while they are out of sight?
TheKangaroo

Return to Critical Mass