[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Meeting the Enemy Squadron

Meeting the Enemy Squadron

Command a squadron of spaceships

Meeting the Enemy Squadron

Postby EA6B » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:24 am

In my oppinion, the most important moves when fighting an enemy squadron are - the move you're making when you contact the enemy squadron, and the next few moves after that. These are the moves where you can put yourself in a good tactical position to fight the rest of the battle, and also where you can weaken the enemy ships with quick, well aimed shots to their exsposed back sides. Once the enemy ships take a few hits to their insides, they are very easy to pick off. Also, the more enemies get destroyed, the easier the battle becomes. Therefor, getting in the first few hits to internal components is a major advantage. In order to do well in the first few moves after contact, it is important to have a good idea where the enemy ships are, even before you can see all of them. This is fairly easy when the enemy ships are in a strict wedge formation. In fact, I think flying in formation is one of the dumbest things the AI squadron can do, because it's so easy to pick out the AI squad leader. Then you can just swing around behind him, chase him like mad, and when you destroy him, the whole AI squadron is forced to hyperspace. A much more threatening tactic that the AI sometimes uses, is to have their ships wait in locations that are scattered randomly over a small area of the sector. This way, when you detect an enemy ship, you don't automatically know where the others are, and if they detect you, they will attack you from places you can't predict. This is a very dangerous AI tactic. The way that I have learned to defeat it, is as followes - When you contact the enemy and they do not apear to be in a formation, DON'T fire on the first ship/s you see. Instead, rely on stealth to sneak past them, and let your wingmates attack them. The other enemy ships, wherever they are, will automaticaly move in to attack your wingmates. This allows you to come in behind them, and start picking them off. This is the best strategy I know for defeating this particular AI tactic, but I would like to know if anyone has any ideas on how to predict the exact positions of the enemy ships before they show up on your radar, or how to predict where they will go after they dissapear from your radar. This is what I am mostly trying to figure out at the moment.
EA6B

Postby umeboshi110 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:55 pm

well, i just recklessly charge in :lol:
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
umeboshi110

chargin in

Postby socks » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:54 pm

haha dont we all
socks

Postby Old Man Johnson » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:01 am

My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Hadean » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:44 am

Mind you, i dont suppose I'm the most tactically sound person here given my REALLY bad track record. But, personally. If I happen to get behind their squadron, thats a bonus, but Im not big about it. Happens with me is:

Eagle 1: Contact

Okay, where is he on the map? Okay, quickest course towards him, avoid any missles, dont fire head on, pull onto his tail. Eat him apart, okay, on to the next closest / most vital fighter, rinse and repeat.

Mind you it all depends on how it happens. if I run into the objectives before I run into the fighters (which is rare, as I prefer to just fly straight until I get to fight the enemy squadron then search for statics or obj afterwards) I smoke the obj, and hyper out. I avoid contact with the enemy squad no matter how tight it gets, i dont fire a shot unless its a kill shot, as i already have my obj completed, no need to endanger my life.
Hadean

Return to Critical Mass