[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Source Code?

Source Code?

Command a squadron of spaceships

Source Code?

Postby JKnight » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:19 am

Hey Chris,

Just thinking that with all the update requests you've been getting maybe you could make your source code available so that all the coders out there can make their own mods on your game dude.
I personally believe that making your game moddable will only make the fanbase larger and more into the game
Maybe that way we can get that multiplayer feature we all cry for. And all those other good ideas out there will have a chance too.
Anyways, I have no clue how much revenue you're making from this game but I believe making it open source will just show the gaming community how addictive this game really is. Fame really is the best way to make money...
Aite, i'm excited to hear what you have to say about this.

Cheers,
Jebus Knight
JKnight

Postby Sean OConnor » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:52 am

I see what you mean but I would never be willing to make my source code freely available as most developers would agree. Once you've done that anyone could make a knock-off copy of my game and sell it!
Sean OConnor

Postby TheKangaroo » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:29 am

Who is Chris? :?:
TheKangaroo

Postby Sean OConnor » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:25 pm

I guessed he meant me?!
Sean OConnor

Postby TheKangaroo » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:46 pm

Well, obviously... but your name doesn't happen to be Chris in some secret way, or did I miss something?
TheKangaroo

Postby Old Man Johnson » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:36 am

My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby BoxZone_Author » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:02 am

I'm not following the logic behind this suggestion.

If Sean gives away his source code (and assuming we can all compile it) how does this make him money?
If a Billion people can all mod and compile the game themselves Sean gets a billion times $0 which I make as $0.

Umm ... I'm not seeing the motivation for Sean to do this!
BoxZone_Author

Postby Fusion_power » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:30 am

There is no logic for Sean to post any of his source code.

A couple of years ago I was beta testing Critical Mass. There were times when I could have done a better job if I had access to the source code. I did not ask to see it because it would not be ethical. Sean will not release the source code and if I were in his shoes, I would not either.

Fusion
Fusion_power

Return to Critical Mass