Action off the screen?

A boardgame of world domination
nwflyboy

Action off the screen?

Post by nwflyboy » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:28 am

I have some questions about a problem I'm having with maps that are larger than the game window.

Here's the issue: When playing against the computer, battles take place off the screen. When it's a computer turn, all sorts of things quickly take place, often off the visible portion of the map, and I can only see the results after I manage to scroll randomly around until i find the active area.

Isn't there any way to make the map automatically scroll to where a battle is taking place?

Thanks.

sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:43 am

not yet...i made my map big just for that reason...its makes
you have to look harder to see whats going on...

WOOOOO first 2007 post
if you run..you'll only die tired

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:22 am

I thought about scrolling to where some action was happening but I thought it would just give you a headache as it would be constantly scrolling!

nwflyboy

Post by nwflyboy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:19 am

Well, I'd say it would be preferable to have it autoscroll rather than to have 90% of what's going on to take place off the screen (which is what happens now) - that makes it really, really hard to follow the game!

How about this...

Provide a user setting: "Autoscroll to battles" on or off.
Off = Existing behavior. (default)
On = Before anything happens, autoscroll the view to center the activity on he screen, and then pause for X seconds before starting (I think the pause would both help you get oriented, and keep the scrolling from becoming annoying).

Ideally it would be nice if the autoscroll delay was user selectable (0 to 10 seconds?), but failing that, a fixed value would be OK (I'd suggest 2 seconds).

This should be valid for any activity that might occur off the screen, including 1. placing new armies; 2. attacks; 3. free moves.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could test first before scrolling to see if it's really off the screen - if it's already visible anywhere on the screen, you could skip the scrolling.

In any case, providing the options would sure make the game more playable on large maps (or small monitors), and if you don't want it, just turn it off and it would be just as it is now.

Hope that seems reasonable. I've got a few other ideas for enhancements that I'll post in a separate thread. Thanks for considering this stuff.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:02 am

BTW are you playing with the larger maps on a Pocket PC?

nwflyboy

Post by nwflyboy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:15 am

Nope, not on Pocket PC (don't own one of those)

I've got a custom map I created that's about 3400 pixels wide x about 2000 pixels high. It's fairly large, even for my 20" monitor running at 1600 1200. I get about 1/4 of the map on my monitor.

This particular map has 13 continents (including several big ones) and the maximum number of territories (128, I believe - it's the maximum number it'll accept).

BTW, I'd also like to see the game maximums (number of continents & territories) increased in a future revision if possible. :D

FWIW, the game is very interesting with large maps and lots of territories...it's quite different.

Thanks again.