Do I just suck?

Command a squadron of spaceships
PlecTron

Post by PlecTron » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:27 am

i think i found my problem. i win half the time but thats not it. its that i like doing potshot missions (destroy; fuel depot, observatorys, transmitters) and using my customs FULL of plectrons, so i just line up and fire and they die in 2 hits.... i rarely get killson actual enemys... so now ive reset all the stuff to missions with attackers only (no statics) and unchecked my destroyers so i get stuff that can fight... now im looking for good cheap dogfighter designs online...
WHAT? WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "Critical System Errror"?????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

pedroski

Post by pedroski » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:04 pm

I never changed what missions I played unless I had two versions and one for real scores other for random things.

PlecTron

Post by PlecTron » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:50 am

well my problem is that i cant do many missions and when i get promoted all the newly playable missions are impossible for me with the number of credits i have, so if i didnt limit the missions available id be dead meat the first major level mission i did, also im not very good at defend missions. that is, i would be dead meat unless i cheated and made a mission with no enemys and made it the only available mission, so i could rack up credits like crazy so i could survive the first real mission i played. but thats too cheap for me. what about you? no offense intended.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:42 am

Well, when you get to those major missions you just have to remember that survival is more important than victory sometimes. If I'm in an Attack Enemy Home Planet or Major Engagement mission just after being promoted to Admiral, I usually just hide in an asteroid field and try to attack stray ships on the side (not very Admiral-like, true).
My webcomic:

PlecTron

Post by PlecTron » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:34 am

not major battle! Major rank, as in Leiutenant promoted to Major! yeah i know, i probably just suck... but THAT badly?????? thats like those rare people on this world who have an amazing apptitude for burning water, no matter how many times they try!

PlecTron

Post by PlecTron » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:18 am

umm on a brighter note i just had a commodore on mission 13! i was in a cruiser (frigate class) and the mission was attack enemy planet! i was doing fine till i got pounded but i lived and had just gotten a 2nd missle launcher repaired when a pile o vampire class went plec crazy around me! i tried to escape, but i was afraid to eject.... to many Plectrons around! and then... i died. i was doing pretty good too! oh well, time to try again.....

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:27 am

Ah, my bad. Which missions in particular are you having trouble with?

...in the meantime, since I'm bored and have nothing else to do, I'll post what I think are some helpful tips for beating Major ranked missions: (I didn't do any of the Defend missions since you have those off)

Attack Asteroid Mining And Shipbuilding Facility
This mission is one of the harder ones. If you don't have a knack for 2-on-2 squadron battles, leave your squad behind and try to knock out the objective. If there's a handy asteroid belt, go ahead and use it, since the AI sucks at asteroid fields. Don't engage the turrets unless you know what you're doing.

Attack Factories
If there's three enemy squadrons you'll need to be more careful (other wise there will be two). Pretty much the only real advice here is that dogfighting around the factories is preferable, since most of the time they'll be more careful with their fire (though you gotta watch for friendlies instead...)

Attack Radar Base
This is pretty much the same thing as Attack Factories, except that radar stations are easier to destroy. Much easier. All these two-on-two battles just test a lot of your survival skills; all I can say is look around you for ships and missiles and don't overly focus on one thing.

Attack Turrets
Sometimes the turrets are ridiculously hard. My advice is to let your wingmates and friendly squadron deal with it; try to take out the enemy ships as fast as possible. Turrets are really annoying and dangerous, though, so make sure you watch for them and their missiles.

Patrol Neutral Sector
Okay, if there's one enemy squadron then it's a piece of cake; but if there's two, or three, then you'll need to be at the top of your game. Always try to abuse asteroid fields, and, if you're really in a pinch but still want to win, hit small ships and hope one of them is the leader. This one is hard.

Reinforcement
This one is...not very hard. For one thing, 2/3 of the time you'll have the numerical advantage. All you have to do is remember to play safe. The last 1/3 of the time, you'll be even and it'll be 3-on-3. If you have enough scouts in your squadron you shouldn't be losing sight of too many ships, so try to keep tabs on the most powerful enemies so they don't blindside you. Of course, don't forget about that Drone that's about to nail you with a Plectron, either.

Okay, I hope that helps. It's not a definitive guide by any means, so if anyone could help me out here it would be great.
My webcomic:

PlecTron

Post by PlecTron » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:53 pm

cool thanks! oh hey i just thought of something! when you make a custom fighter and have some credits and missle slots to spare, add a pack or 2 of yataris! why? because the worst possible situation for a near-thrustless fighter is to ram into an enemy ship! it turns you into a sitting duck! well, now the ship you rammed into is toast! BOOM TIME!

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:33 pm

Well, Plectrons actually do more damage then Yataris, so just let 3 or 4 of those off and you're set, since they're not moving anyway. But yeah, I love crashing into enemy ships and filling them full of missiles at point-blank.
My webcomic: