[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Wish List

Wish List

Real time World War II combat simulation

Postby pedroski » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:21 pm

The one main thing that I would want if firefight was redon would be a fastforward control. That might be hard I don't really know but other things other than multiplayer would be unnecessary in my opinion.
pedroski

Postby courier » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:59 pm

Things that have annoyed me in a couple of weeks of play:

- Status indicators for tanks, so I can see when a tank gets into its weird will-never-move-again suppressed state. Or at least some explanation for this state (is the tank somehow immobilized? It still seems to be able to turn... if the tank is immobilized, under fire, shouldn't the crew have bailed?)

- Finer control over HMGs, so I don't have to hide them behind hills to prevent them from wasting ammo. A 'no fire' toggle or, better, a maximum firing range control would do nicely.

- Close-quarters light anti-tank options for ordinary infantry -- a light tank in the middle of an infantry-ridden town should be in trouble rather than vice versa. This would also decrease the last-tank-standing-wins nature of mixed tank/infantry fights.

- Maybe make the field guns a little less psychotically accurate? I swear, those guys could shoot a fly off of a target's crotch without singing his pants, while the ordinary rifleman takes a dozen shots to hit a standing target at 20 meters. But this might just be a misperception on my part.

- The AI should be more willing to bring mobile anti-tank weapons (AT rifles, flamethrowers) on infantry campaigns. Attacking with tanks is too easy once you get the hang of it, because having the last tank standing is such a huge advantage.

- Improved short-range vision. Perhaps let infantry automatically see everything within two meters of them or something similar. The ability of two squads to sit next to each other on a hilltop without seeing each other is just spooky. At just a few meters, sitting there for ten minutes, these guys should be able to _smell_ each other. This will become even more important if it ever becomes possible to tell a unit not to fire as aggressively, as drawing fire seems to be the major way to detect units.

- More rational objective selection. Here's a low hill objective surrounded by high hills. What on earth operational goal could be served by taking it?

- Show the deployment areas on the map before purchasing. I want to know if that field gun I buy can be positioned from the start on the hill I've picked for it.

- More obvious help for things like keyboard commands. There are lots of controls I'd like to see, but for all I know half of them already exist. Or are the commands all documented somewhere that I missed?
courier

Postby Andy Brown » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:48 am

HMGs: There's no way to stop them blazing away at early targets (other than keeping them out of LoS, of course) but I've found that modding them by giving them an extra loader and increasing the ammo loadout of the loaders encourages them to perform a little more effectively.

I tend to give the gunner and the two loaders 200 rounds each although I have experimented with giving the loaders 400 rounds each (a credible load - two 200 round belts) for a total of 1000 rounds which works very well.

The only constraint is that the purchase points cost increases with the size of the ammo loadout so anything more than 1000 rounds makes an HMG team overly expensive.

Giving most of the ammo to the loaders also sidesteps the "conservation of ammo" subroutines which tend to prevent HMGs from engaging targets at long range once the gunner himself starts getting low on ammo.

Cheers,

Andy
Andy Brown

Postby courier » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:40 pm

Another annoyance I encountered today -- guns whose crews have been killed should not continue to freeze your AFVs. I've been using recon squads to massacre the crews of unsupported anti-tank guns, and discovering that my half-track in the area covered by the newly-crewless gun sticks frozen in position.

(In general, AFVs seem to stick in place if they can see a gun, even if they have no weapon useful against it. A flame tank will stick in place and stare at a tank 500m away, even though it has no weapon it could possibly use from its position.)
courier

Postby Andy Brown » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:13 pm

I'm not sure I've seen this. AFVs do tend to freeze in place if the battle is fast and furious around them but they will (eventually) start obeying orders again if things quieten down in their area (but it does take a while - usually several minutes). I've always thought of it as a morale issue, perhaps one that does need a bit of adjustment.

Tanks do have an annoying tendency to stop in the open and duel enemy ATGs/AFVs when it would make more sense for them to sprint into cover.

Andy
Andy Brown

Postby mscano » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:07 pm

Map editor. I'd like to be able to create a map, then pick it and play a battle on it.
mscano

Postby Dunkirk » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:37 pm

Dunkirk

Postby Andy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:16 am

#1, so far as i remember (havent played in a while due to discovery of battlefield 1942 + vietnam, that and uni, apparently), you cant get friendly fire except by arty, think i got bored and stacked 5 or 6 full squads ontop of each other, firing all sorts of weapons at them, and only the arty would have an affect
________
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Postby Andy Brown » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:12 am

And tank main armaments and ATGs also, I think, but not small arms or MGs.

Andy Brown
Andy Brown

Postby Dunkirk » Wed May 02, 2007 5:47 am

Yes, this was definitely a tank main gun. Also, I believe bazookas/panzeraust/PIATs can cause friendly fire.

On another note, it would be nice to be able to select a variable size for the artillery grouping. In other words, it would be good to be able to drop shells across a larger area. The trade-off would be less likelihood of a hit, but the advantage would be a larger area of affect for infantry suppression.

Also, it would be nice if the "kills" graphics on the unit status screen didn't lump on top of each other. I had a field gun with a tremendous tally (at least 5 inf and 2 tanks), but I could barely make out the graphics, as they stacked atop each other such that I couldn't even see what types of tanks they were.

These suggestions are only offered with the understanding that this is just a great game as it is already. My hat is off to you, sir.
Dunkirk

Re: Wish List Items

Postby JeanBoule » Mon May 14, 2007 12:42 pm

Voila du boudin!
JeanBoule

Re: More arty options...

Postby JeanBoule » Mon May 14, 2007 12:56 pm

Voila du boudin!
JeanBoule

Postby Andy Brown » Mon May 14, 2007 10:36 pm

Andy Brown

Postby jensiii » Tue May 15, 2007 12:53 pm

jensiii

Postby JeanBoule » Wed May 16, 2007 12:25 pm

Easy deployment Method please.

Defence is OK, there are usually fewer units and the spots picked make some sense to me.

When attacking, There are usually more units. I find the default layout is a pain, my finger gets tired dragging units all over the map.

If I have say 9 inf squads, I put them in clusters of 3 in numeric order, so during the game I can cycle thru them with at least a rough idea where they will be. I like to start with 1,2, and 3rd on the left, and so on. The game starts with 1 on the far left and 2 on the far right.

suggestion. deploy by clicking the squad on the table, and then clicking on the map where u want them to be.
Voila du boudin!
JeanBoule

PreviousNext

Return to Firefight