Asteroid Shield

Command a squadron of spaceships
Legacy

Asteroid Shield

Post by Legacy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:00 am

Sirens were blaring in my ears, atmosphere venting from my ship at an alarming rate, and though my repair bot was still functioning, I'd lost all but a couple thrusters and my cockpit. Buying for time, I sneaked out of the vicious firefight and moved into an asteroid field. I noticed stray missiles flying by, so I painstakingly maneuvered "behind" an asteroid, so that it would be between me and the multi-squadron engagement. My own wing was taking a pounding, so I ordered them to avoid contact and withdraw. Meanwhile, my engines and weapons were coming online, so I began pushing my overgrown sandbag towards the fighting, slowly but surely. By the time I was picked up by the hostiles, most of my systems were online. A Super Watcher and a Crow were approaching, firing towards me. As the missiles came in from one direction, I came around the opposite side of the rock and fired a salvo of Oriks, catching them head on and sending the already damaged watcher into oblivion and scorching the Crow significantly. As the rest of the enemy ships started moving in toward me, I was painfully aware of the fact that I was outnumbered. I ordered the wingmen I had left to rejoin the fight and began evasive maneuvers, conserving the few missiles I had left. Once I had another wingman to take some of the attention off of me, we mopped up fairly quickly.

Question: Has anyone else had any noteworthy tactics using asteroids?
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

umeboshi110

Post by umeboshi110 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:27 am

well, chasing ships into asteroids are fun, as they basically become giant targets.
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

BoxZone_Author

Post by BoxZone_Author » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:58 am

The AI seems poor at predicting the course of asteroids so they bump into them often. And we all know what happens to sitting ducks.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:05 am

Enemies are incredibly reluctant (for good reason) to fire guided missiles at you in an asteroid field. Given that I only use Plectrons, I suffer no such disadvantage and can fire at will. In fact, it's easier for me since the enemies slow or stop (though when they back up it sometimes throws me off). I once destroyed 4 Warriors and a Nightmare with a ship that had lost all its armor (my repair bots fixed the inside damage, as always).
My webcomic:

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:42 am

A lot of stock ships are armed with the white ones, which they use on me in said situations sometimes.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:18 pm

Well, it's not like you cross a line and your homing missiles become useless. Even amidst an asteroid belt you will have more than a few clear targets; you just have to look out.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:28 pm

True enough. I enjoy fighting against superior odds in the asteroid fields, no matter what I'm armed with. It's like being the Viet Cong, sneaking around and maiming the superior force.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:34 pm

Hope you remember that the Vietcong actually got wasted in the end.

umeboshi110

Post by umeboshi110 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:53 am

the vietcong were bad, bad men
besides, sneaking around's not my style. i like to hammer my oppenent with crushingly decisive blows
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:20 am

There were still VC in Vietnam when all the ARVN's and US troops were gone. You don't give them enough credit.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:58 am

Hey, well, umeboshi, you can just sneak up to the enemies and then hammer away. Though I suppose that's not my style, either; I rush in and start firing missiles at whatever I see, not much tactics or stealth here.
My webcomic:

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:45 pm

There were still VC in Vietnam when all the ARVN's and US troops were gone. You don't give them enough credit.

I'm afraid this is going way off topic, but anyway I think you're wrong there. Whilst it is correct, that the North Vietnamese Army eventually won the war the actual Vietcong (which means the infamous guerilla) matter of factly ceased to exist by late 1969. The 'regular' NVA kept fighting though, but it took them more than a year to reach Saigon even after the American (and other) troops withdrew.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:57 pm

1969 seems too early, as I have some family and neighbors who were in country, as well as books, that make reference to VC activity in the early seventies. Of course, it may have been a result of on-uniformed regulars, but guerrillas, especially sappers and snipers, were still around.

You're right... we are way off topic.

*Insert some extremely Critical Mass relevant information here*

sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:02 pm

TheKangaroo wrote:

I'm afraid this is going way off topic, but anyway I think you're wrong there. Whilst it is correct, that the North Vietnamese Army eventually won the war the actual Vietcong (which means the infamous guerilla) matter of factly ceased to exist by late 1969. The 'regular' NVA kept fighting though, but it took them more than a year to reach Saigon even after the American (and other) troops withdrew.

correct the VC all but ceased to exsist after the TET offensive
in fact the war was all but won after the TET offensive we
had finally smashed the best they had...then our cowardly polititians
pulls us out...
if you run..you'll only die tired

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:07 pm

sid6.7 wrote:
TheKangaroo wrote:

correct the VC all but ceased to exsist after the TET offensive
in fact the war was all but won after the TET offensive we
had finally smashed the best they had...then our cowardly polititians
pulls us out...

Oversimplified.

Yes, the VC were vastly reduced and demoralized following Tet '68, but they still operated for several years in a limited capacity.

You are almost dead on about the politics. The primary way in which Iraq resembles Vietnam is in the political micromanagement of the conflict.