[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - I didn't know this was possible

I didn't know this was possible

Command a squadron of spaceships

I didn't know this was possible

Postby Nomadic » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm

I was in an earlier mission and I picked a super watcher. When my forces came in contact with the enemy I ended up in a head to head with a frigate. The frigate had just launched through all but one of its missile tubes (so it could only fire one missile). There were no other ships in the direct vicinity so it was pretty much a one on one. So I of course had lined up and shot off a couple blues into his face and was turning. As I turned the frigate shot off a missile which happened to be a daycorn. I figure its ok, after all what can a little daycorn do? But no, the sucker flies smack dab into my right side as I turn past him and then Boom im dead. That's right, a fully shielded super watcher took a hit to a fully shielded side from a weak little daycorn and exploded. There were no other ships nearby, and no other missiles flying at me. Just a single shot, a single explosion, and another commander dead. Dang my luck stinks. So has anyone else had this happen before?
Nomadic

Postby TheKangaroo » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:11 am

Yes, it happened to me once in a while. Looks like the shielding doesn't quite cover every angle, just like there are gaps in flak vests.
TheKangaroo

Postby Legacy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:35 pm

It is far far better to just not get hit by ANY missiles. Then you don't need shields!
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!
Legacy

Postby Nomadic » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:30 pm

Very true, however I have yet to see a ship design that makes you impervious to being hit by anything ever :P

Though I have discovered that the best way to avoid a single missile killing you, is to put two command modules on opposite sides of the ship (usually left and right wings for me since I take most of my hits in the front or back).
Nomadic

Postby Legacy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:03 am

Tactics dictate how often missiles strike you as much as ship design does.

Legacy

Postby TheKangaroo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:31 pm

Definitely. Some of my ship designs have no shielding at all, though I, too, took note on the fact that redundant cockpits increase survivability drastically. Though one hit might cripple that little fellow pretty badly it still goes on flying.
TheKangaroo

Postby Legacy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:39 pm

Yeah, BZA's Survivabubble series is really good in that aspect. I designed a ship called the UFO before seeing them, and it has similar properties, but is a much cheaper and lighter ship. A bit more agile too. It can take a beating, but often it doesn't have to.

Legacy

Postby Nomadic » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:51 pm

That's the real trick isn't it. Surviving enough missions till you can afford and get a double command module ship. I am going slowly insane though since my last 3 commanders have all died before I could get one and all have died because a single daycorn took out their shields and module in one hit. Maybe I should make a nice cheap double module ship for early missions.
Nomadic

Postby Old Man Johnson » Tue May 01, 2007 7:57 am

Command modules are cheap, really; it won't put too much of a dent in your pocket to add another one onto even your lowest-end designs. Every single one of my custom ships has at least 2 command centers, and some have as many as 4. Even my ships designed for AI usage have multiple command centers.
My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby pedroski » Thu May 03, 2007 1:49 pm

A ship with like 3 command modules and repair is very useful because you can repair command. Armor doesn't get repaired.
pedroski

Postby TheKangaroo » Thu May 03, 2007 4:29 pm

Yup. I'm just back from a 'Major Engagement'-Mission. #25 or something around that. I figure my latest experimental fighter passed its proving status... (about time after three months anyway).
TheKangaroo

Postby cavemaniac1 » Fri May 11, 2007 5:43 pm

The one thing that we learn from history is that we don't learn from history...
cavemaniac1

Postby TheKangaroo » Fri May 11, 2007 8:44 pm

It really seems I am the only one around here whose custom ships actually cease to be available after a while...
TheKangaroo

Postby Legacy » Fri May 11, 2007 11:22 pm

Legacy

Postby umeboshi110 » Mon May 14, 2007 7:07 pm

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
umeboshi110

Next

Return to Critical Mass