[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - American Civil War

American Civil War

Real time World War II combat simulation

American Civil War

Postby Legacy » Tue May 08, 2007 5:48 am

A second lieutenant of mine, whose name happened to be Pickett, had his entire squad killed as he charged a cannon position atop a hill. The humor aside, it got me to thinking. Wit ha few tweaks, this engine might lend itself very well to an American Civil War or Napoleonic Wars setting.

Thoughts?
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!
Legacy

Postby Andy » Tue May 08, 2007 10:02 am

tweak the arty controls so you buy and plant your guns on a hill, then select the battery and command them to open fire on an area, rather than a point.

generally i feel firefight needs a multiple unit select function
________
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Postby Legacy » Tue May 08, 2007 4:15 pm

Unit size would be an issue, as squads and platoons were relatively insignificant concepts then, and companies were the size at which units started to become useful. I figure that if you have 14 infantry units, you pretty much have a rifle company as it stands now, so we're a tad small scale for 1800's warfare.

Legacy

Postby TheKangaroo » Tue May 08, 2007 5:44 pm

Well, it could be done. In the end it comes down to simplifying the AI, means removing features like the soldiers finding cover individually and such and instead having them hug that blue line and add simultanious firing.
Guess those are things Sean would have to change, though. The easier way would be to change the graphics so each individual soldier will become a company or such, a little sloppy but gives you the same effect. In the end I believe even though the engine would probably be well capable of that Firefight isn't quite the game for these things. I feel it would just end in removing some of the greatest features instead of adding much new.
TheKangaroo

Postby Sean OConnor » Tue May 08, 2007 7:34 pm

Sounds like an interesting idea but I really don't have the spare time to work on something like that! Also, being a Brit (is that a Limey?) I know almost nothing about the ACW.

If I manage to do another real-time game it'll probably be a medieval battle with isometric graphics.
Sean OConnor

Postby Dunkirk » Wed May 09, 2007 4:17 am

Honestly, IMO it would be difficult to best Sid Meier's "Gettysburg!" game. For 19th century, regiment/brigade level combat, including command and control, fatigue, morale and maneuver considerations, that game is top notch.

You can move into columns, lines, wheel, hold fire until ordered, you can have artillery retreat by recoil, and you can order multiple regiments by selecting their brigade commander.

That said, I think the dynamics are very different in Napoleanic/Jominian warfare (which heavily influenced ACW) than those of WWII: small-unit maneuver, armor, automatic weapons fire, etc. Firefight seems designed for that, and has done a great job of addressing this type of combat.
Dunkirk

Postby Legacy » Thu May 10, 2007 1:36 am

Legacy

Postby Captain Zlog » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:11 am

Captain Zlog

Postby Legacy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:48 am

Legacy

Postby StateRoute170 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:54 pm

StateRoute170

Postby StateRoute170 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:01 pm

StateRoute170

Postby StateRoute170 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:09 pm

StateRoute170

Return to Firefight