[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Hints and tips

Hints and tips

Real time World War II combat simulation

Postby Tim_Myth » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:35 am

Tim_Myth

Postby Quitch » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:24 pm

Quitch

Postby Quitch » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:45 am

Quitch

Postby Tim_Myth » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:54 am

- Yesterday's Traditions, Tomorrow's Technology.
Tim_Myth

Postby Sean OConnor » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:50 pm

Sean OConnor

Postby Quitch » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:22 pm

Quitch

Postby JeanBoule » Wed May 16, 2007 12:11 pm

Voila du boudin!
JeanBoule

rear hill defence

Postby andrew516 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:00 pm

when defending use any hill you can deploy your men on. placing them just behind the ridge means the enemy cant direct fire on you and have to push to point blank range before they see you. All you need are recon squads with SMGs and grenades to hold the top of a hill from the reverse side. The enemy will pile up at the top of the hill supressed or be bumped into going round the hill. Either way you end up with concentrated areas on enemy which you can mortar to supress further while you dial your HE arty in. I never sit on top of a hill. Yes you get good fields of view but when outnumbered you'll just be supressed instantly and worn down over time. I also tend to put a full unit of infantry hidden away on eachflank quite deep into no mans land. Once your recon squards defending the revese slopes of the hills get over-run and the enemy pushes through the centre, move these flank forces in behind the enamy and fix them just short of your objective.

I would always have a tank over a field gun IMHO. Sometimes I will have a tank (for tank to tank slug outs) and an APC. My armour starts hidden and i can spot their armour early thanks to my recon squads far forward of my line. I can move my own armour accordingly and ambush the buggers. Even an APC is fantastic in defence because if you've played defence lots (and also attack for that matter) last tank standing wins. Unless your playing late war scenarios and infantry carried anti tank comes into play. But certainly in defence last tank wins, and an APC with an LMG can herd enemy infantry into your kill zones. Also a note on rear hill defence. I have used armour to great effect but keeping them behind the recon squads to sure they up, giving the enemy more time to pile up on the hill top they just cant manage to crest and then swinging my armour round the side and back of the hill back towards my own recon guys. All the enemy on the hill top see the armour coming and run away from it, straight over the hill top and into the recon squads who hose them down with SMG fire.

Flamethrowers are a fantastic last hope to dunk down on the objective you are defending. Never leave home without one. I know lots of people really rate field guns but i would always rather take the tank any day as it can manouver, ambush and sure up threatened parts of the line. Field guns sit there and you just have to hope they dont get knocked out. Plus, where a tank is, infantry refure to go. Charge the buggers and drive them into your infantry. If they are in the open with LMG frie from the armour to their rear and get hit by volleys of rifle fire from their front, all while not being able to fire back as they're running out of the way of the tank you can be pretty sure you'll see white flags popping up. As germans against russians in hilly ground with low ground in the middle i've been able to combine all of the above to smash the popov attack and take 60+ prisoners in the process. :P
andrew516

Previous

Return to Firefight