[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Bomber Design

Bomber Design

Command a squadron of spaceships

Which of the following components do you consider to be most useful for ships flown on bombing missions.

shields
No votes
super shields
No votes
command centers
11%
radar
6%
missile launchers
61%
thrust
11%
turning
No votes
repair bots
11%

Total votes : 18

Postby Fighter_Ace » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:15 am

Fighter_Ace

Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Postby Empty Hat » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:33 pm

Empty Hat

Postby Fighter_Ace » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:36 am

My ratings:

Plectrons - ImageImageImageImageImage
- By far the most destructive/valued weapon in CM. It's inability to home actually aids it in combat. Not distracted by asteroids or unintended targets, Plectrons are the butter on the bread, charging full speed until impact. Adding to it's value is the rare exception where rocket fuel plays no role in its ability to perform. Once fired, it never stops, even when out of gas. If only one missile were to be allowed into combat, Plectrons would be a must for experienced players.

Yataris - ImageImageImageImage
- Very effective warhead for mowing down turrets and slow-moving civilian craft. It's low agility only slightly impairs it. Many times low levels of turn are desired, such when cluster bombing. At times, its slow speed can prove to be very effective. Firing a burst of Yataris at low speeds nearly makes a deadly wall of explosives for anyone even attempting a head-on attack. Furthermore, if Plectrons aren't present, Yataris easily fill their role, if the player is an experienced pilot. "Ramming" an enemy and unloading an entire round of these babies will easily send the victim fl.... wait, he's already been vaporized.

Drachans - ImageImageImage
- These "intelligent" weapons tend to earn their place in your weapons bay. With more turn than a Greenee and more fuel and destructive power than a Daycorn, they easily hold much importance on many missions. Defence, in particular, is a spectacular spot for Drachans to perform. Their "ally/enemy" detection can definitely spare a few more wingmen and allied targets. Drachans also are very helpful on asteroid missions due to their ignorance of floating chunks of nothing. Very nice to not have a "stupid" missile for once. It's a wonder why these little guys aren't "gold" instead of Daycorns.

Greenees - ImageImage
- One of the most common/general fighter weapons and an all-rounder. Slightly more fuel than Daycorns yet slightly less turn. The point at which these two missiles lose breaking even is in damage. Greenees provide quite a bit more "pow" to your attacks and still retain more turn than an Orik. You can pretty much bet money on these guys on any mission. Very trusty.

Daycorns - Image
- Most effective in close combat dogfights with maneuverable fighters. It's inability to inflict much damage slightly negates from its value, because, in turn, it cannot attack a very wide array of enemies well. It's low fuel level plays another large role in it's usability. Once out, it quickly becomes useless. An inventory of mainly Daycorns can easily become the piolets worst nightmare.

Oriks - Image
- Although their high levels of fuel can easily be tempting for newer pilots, this very attribute can become it's greatest issue/downfall. Not able to "lock" as well as a even a Greenee, Oriks can easily stray and cause much friendly fire or miss-intended targets to get hit. Spraying too many orics in a heated combat zone leaves these puppies "live" long after they have lost their target. How is this a problem? "Fire!!! *miss* *two minutes later* *BOOM!* Woops! Sir... we've just terminated the president and creamed his transport craft."
Fighter_Ace

Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Postby Empty Hat » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:03 am

nice sum up
Empty Hat

Postby Fighter_Ace » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:46 pm

Thanx Empty. Oh, and if anyone has a different order of favorites, feel free to add to the archive. :) Who knows, maybe you're pointers can convince someone else. Building superior war machines is the greatest mission of all. And I'm always on it.
Fighter_Ace

Postby Legacy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:41 am

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!
Legacy

Postby Fighter_Ace » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:20 am

Fighter_Ace

Postby Legacy » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:05 am

Legacy

Postby umeboshi110 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:27 pm

I'm not really a fan of oriks either. I also don't find much use for drachans, as they are just as weak as daycorns but less maneuverable. I have to admit that the daycorn's low fuel requires you to be a bit closer to the enemy, and it is safer to make your AI have drachan fighters. My ratings out of five:

Plectron - 5
Yes, these are the best

Daycorn - 4
Short-ranged and weak but cripples enemies fast, especially because rear armour is usually weak

Yatari - 3
Very slow, but powerful, good for bombing and close-ranged fighting, but I'd suggest using Plectrons for this. I made a few close-ranged fighters with these and Daycorns.

Genee - 3
The all-round missile, still too slow to catch faster ships at a distance, but good for smashing slower and damaged ships.

Drachan - 2
There are times when these are useful, but not for when you just want to tear apart as many enemies apart as you can.

Orik - 1
Too slow to hit any real threats

EDIT: I just realized this was a bomber topic. hehehe...
(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
umeboshi110

Postby Fighter_Ace » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:00 am

Fighter_Ace

Postby Old Man Johnson » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:51 am

My webcomic:
Old Man Johnson

Postby Empty Hat » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:53 pm

My opinion off Yatari missiles is at an all time low. I was flying backwards and fired some to cover my retreat hoping to dissade the enemy squadron chasing me off of my bombing run and they ran out of fuel at a perfect standstill and were just floating there (it essentialy mined a pathway between two asteroids but still pretty useless).
Empty Hat

Postby Legacy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Legacy

Previous

Return to Critical Mass