56%
Drachan
11%
Orik
No votes

Total votes: 9

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:58 pm

One on one, in identical ships, a human will almost always win, I'd expect.

Well, as Chuck Yeager once said in aerial combat the experienced pilot always beats the novice, no matter whose aircraft is superior. He is said to have proven that by staging two fights against another pilot with exchanging planes in between. (Of course that was in the 1950s when there were no guided missiles and radars and stuff around)

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:57 am

Empty Hat wrote:It's a bit alturistic but do you fire missiles to force maneuvers i.e firing of your oponents starboard to force them into a couple of your wingmates?

I do that a lot, but not for my wingmates :P I fire a Daycorn to scare them into turning, then hit them with a 3 or 4 Plec broadside. That finishes just about any kind of ship (Warriors are the exception)
My webcomic:

Empty Hat

Post by Empty Hat » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:37 pm

I've only had intermitant success with that but I think its because I'm normally using lower spec ships.

Oh if the computer is so unhappy with Plectrons then are yatari bomber wingmen more efficient?

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:02 pm

Empty Hat wrote:I've only had intermitant success with that but I think its because I'm normally using lower spec ships.

Oh if the computer is so unhappy with Plectrons then are yatari bomber wingmen more efficient?

I've found that an experimental ship I'd designed, modified to carry Yatari as a light, high stealth bomber is exponentially more effective for my wing mates than I, and it has outlived any other support ship I've had with me by several missions.
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:52 pm

I've noticed that, too. It seems as if CPU players are better acquainted with guided missiles. Since Yataris are slightly guided verses Plectrons which are not guided at all, they seem to perform better with them, IMO. Seriously, you only buy drones (only carry Plectrons) when you're totally desperate for another ship. That's scraping the bottom of the barrel right there.
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:07 am

Fighter_Ace wrote:I've noticed that, too. It seems as if CPU players are better acquainted with guided missiles. Since Yataris are slightly guided verses Plectrons which are not guided at all, they seem to perform better with them, IMO. Seriously, you only buy drones (only carry Plectrons) when you're totally desperate for another ship. That's scraping the bottom of the barrel right there.

When I want medals, I fly drones and other cheap ships like that, but I agree, the AI wing mates are better off with a drone-like ship with basically any other weapon than plecs.

Empty Hat

Post by Empty Hat » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:35 am

do you host any of your designs anywhere legacy?

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:49 am

Legacy wrote:When I want medals, I fly drones and other cheap ships like that...

Muahahaha! I do the very same. 'Cept I'm more partial to the scout craft than the drones. I love the first and actual "Scout" ship. Looks just like a bomb and gives you a blast every time!

Empty Hat wrote:do you host any of your designs anywhere legacy?

Lol! He's probably got some secret stash of them hidden some where. Only his top-designs and best performers make the cut.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:46 am

Fighter_Ace wrote:
Legacy wrote:When I want medals, I fly drones and other cheap ships like that...

Muahahaha! I do the very same. 'Cept I'm more partial to the scout craft than the drones. I love the first and actual "Scout" ship. Looks just like a bomb and gives you a blast every time!

Empty Hat wrote:do you host any of your designs anywhere legacy?

Lol! He's probably got some secret stash of them hidden some where. Only his top-designs and best performers make the cut.

They will go on my website, The Scrapyard, when I've got time to finish building the content for it. The only reason none are up yet is because I don't really have the patience to make screenshots and trim them carefully to put on pages, and because I haven't finished writing my CM backstory that incorporates many of my designs.

Empty Hat

Post by Empty Hat » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:17 pm

Yes I looked at your scrapyard site. I was just getting into the background story when I clicked the links for more stuff. Of course nothng happened darn you. Hurry up and expand it for you have wet my appetite for the story.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:29 pm

Empty Hat wrote:Yes I looked at your scrapyard site. I was just getting into the background story when I clicked the links for more stuff. Of course nothng happened darn you. Hurry up and expand it for you have wet my appetite for the story.

Farm work is taking precedence at the moment.

Empty Hat

Post by Empty Hat » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:12 pm

I suppose these things must :)

I put together my own Yatari light stealth bomber and I'm quite liking the results.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:56 pm

Empty Hat wrote:I suppose these things must :)

I put together my own Yatari light stealth bomber and I'm quite liking the results.

If you'd like, I'll send you mine. It's still labeled with a fairly random X number, as I'd originally just developed the handling and component characteristics, then made it into a bomber at a later date. Flies fairly nicely though. I always get killed in it, but the AI has lasted many missions wiht the sucker.

Fighter_Ace

Post by Fighter_Ace » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:54 pm

Legacy wrote:The only reason none are up yet is because I don't really have the patience to make screenshots and trim them carefully to put on pages...

Ditto! I hear ya bro! Try running a site that takes submissions, doing all that cutting, pasting, and perfecting, and going to college at the same time.

My sincere apologies to anyone who is waiting on me. :cry:

EDIT:

WOW! Nice site, Legacy. Fancy fancy! And you don't even have those crappy adds all over it... I'm so jealous!

EDIT EDIT:
Grrrr! And mine didn't even pass that stupid CSS test! *hrmph!* Show-off! Lol! :wink:

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:14 am

Fighter_Ace wrote:
Legacy wrote:The only reason none are up yet is because I don't really have the patience to make screenshots and trim them carefully to put on pages...

Ditto! I hear ya bro! Try running a site that takes submissions, doing all that cutting, pasting, and perfecting, and going to college at the same time.

My sincere apologies to anyone who is waiting on me. :cry:

EDIT:

WOW! Nice site, Legacy. Fancy fancy! And you don't even have those crappy adds all over it... I'm so jealous!

EDIT EDIT:
Grrrr! And mine didn't even pass that stupid CSS test! *hrmph!* Show-off! Lol! :wink:

I've gotten a lot of practice over the years. I make up for intelligence and common sense with a heavy negative ambition modifier.