Defend Turrets

Command a squadron of spaceships
Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:44 am

Empty Hat wrote:Actually I'm suprised there isn't a turret that's all turn; they could get an intimidating 90? swivel without any thrust but none of them turn faster then 72? which is less impressive then a fighter and gives up there true advantage.

My custom turret does... of course I've never really had an opportunity to see it in action...
"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!

Empty Hat

Post by Empty Hat » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:48 pm

Ha my squad just hype-spaced into the middle of a medium turret ring on their 1st mission, made for an interesting couple of turns, not the best time to be piloting a wasp though.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:28 pm

I've had some hairy, edge of my seat moments facing turrets. One time I was all but crippled and stopped dead in the center of a turret ring and they all just watched me without firing.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:06 am

Empty Hat wrote:I personaly believe that all my factories are empty because old man Johnson's command section requisitions all the purple fireworks :o

Darn, ya caught me >< My custom ships seriously have 10 Daycorns, 5 Yataris and 30 Plectrons.
My webcomic:

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:42 pm

Empty Hat wrote:Actually I'm surprised there isn't a turret that's all turn; they could get an intimidating 90? swivel without any thrust but none of them turn faster then 72? which is less impressive then a fighter and gives up there true advantage.

Actually come to think of it, that would really be cool...

Seriously, who has NEVER dooped themselves with the current turrets, as they are, when fighting them!?

1. Turret spotted
  2. Turn, aim, lock
  3. Ram full speed
  4. "Hmm! I don't have very many missiles left. I'd better conserve. Besides, he'll be toast with just one!"
  5. FIRE!
  6. HIT!
  7. ...
  8. Turret not dead/destroyed
  9. Turret now behind you and quickly readjusting to smoke your you-know-what
  10. Turret just happens to fire Daycorn
  11. "AHHH! Get it off! Get it off!!!"
  12. *POOF!*
  13. ...
  14. "$#!t!"

Only thing is that better turning would make 'em very lethal. You'de never get their back side. They'd have to be worth more for taking them out.
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:53 am

Err, I actually ram the turrets, so mine looks more like this:

1. Turret spotted
2. Turn, aim, lock
3. Ram full speed
4. "Hmm! I don't have very many missiles left. I'd better conserve. Besides, he'll be toast with just one!"
5. FIRE!
6. HIT!
7. ...
8. Turret not dead/destroyed
9. Turret now directly in front of my non-moving ship with 4 free launchers
10. Boom
My webcomic:

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:07 am

^ ROFL! You just painted a perfect mental image for me! And now that you mention it....... yes. That's another terrible scenario.

What I'd really like to see is turrets not being sooo dim-witted in asteroid fields. That may need a little fixing up. They just sit there while you server 'em Plectrons straight to the face.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:23 am

I think the real problem here is AI in general being dim-witted in asteroid fields. Ships, both friendly and enemy, don't really fare much better than turrets in asteroid fields; they don't even move much more than their stationary cousins.
My webcomic:

Fighter_Ace

Post by Fighter_Ace » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:49 am

Aye... come to think of it, you're exactly right and present a very adverse problem. It really effects the gameplay. Ever notice how easy it is to get gold crosses on asteroid missions? Yeash! You'd think the asteroids inflicted damage when struck or something. (Which I think they should IMO.)

Not only are bots idiots in asteroid fields but also in friendly sectors. If an enemy enters a friendly base, chances are your allied ships will never fire on him, provided that he stays in the base or doesn't completely obliterates it. (This can happen to either team) I suspect this is because they fear inflicting friendly fire. Geez louise! Off all the times to be too careful. My wingmen seem more than happy to unload a stream of Daycorns into my arse (usually killing their commander, me!) but refuse to fire on an enemy in a friendly field. Once I've been killed, I usually watch the rest of the fight. If this scenario occurs on either side, it makes the mission stalemate and never end. All the attacking units do is inch forward to their target... then inch back... then forward... then back... etc.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:22 am

We all know why our subordinates shoot at us. If we're dead, who can order them to their deaths?

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:12 pm

O-kay... I hadn't played Critical Mass in a while but today I had a little time on my hands so I gave it a try again. Nice to find an active commander waiting who I actually forgot about but that's not what this is about.
I'd just like to know: is that really coincidence that after this topic about futility of turret defending came up my next four missions were all 'Defend Turrets'? (Or is it just that everyone else turns down these assignments by now?)

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:20 am

TheKangaroo wrote:O-kay... I hadn't played Critical Mass in a while but today I had a little time on my hands so I gave it a try again. Nice to find an active commander waiting who I actually forgot about but that's not what this is about.
I'd just like to know: is that really coincidence that after this topic about futility of turret defending came up my next four missions were all 'Defend Turrets'? (Or is it just that everyone else turns down these assignments by now?)

Yes, I refuse to comply with these orders, so they are pawning them off on other officers.