[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Freezing

Freezing

Real time World War II combat simulation

Freezing

Postby Tharkin » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:57 am

So I just bought the 9-game package and so far everything is working well except for Firefight. When I start to play I can set the initial positions of my troops just fine, but about a minute after I start the mission it gets *impossibly* slow. Mouse clicks don't register, etc. I can't even exit the game, I have to power down the whole computer. I get 100% CPU usage *if* I can get ctl+alt+del to work. The computer itself should be fine, it's run games like Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft which I have to believe is more system intensive than Firefight. What gives? Any suggestions?
Tharkin

Postby Sean OConnor » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:48 am

Some computers seem to have trouble with the newer timing routine I use in Firefight and once it goes wrong it never seems to recover. The older timing routine used maximum CPU all the time so the newer one is definitely an improvement though.

If it's possible could you try switching down from 32 bit colour to 16 bit colour as that halves the memory throughput and will probably solve the problem.

Those other games you mention almost certainly use DirectX whereas I just write plain Windows programs.
Sean OConnor

Postby Tharkin » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:47 am

Yes, those two games are both with DirectX. I wasn't aware that would make a difference. Computer wiz, I am not. :roll:

I'll see if I can figure out how to change the colors and see if that works. I hope so, because the game looks real good. I really dig the others in the package, by the way, they are very entertaining. Nice work!

Edit: That seems to have done the trick. And I figured out how to change the colors all on my own. Better watch out, I'll be breathing down your neck in the computer wiz department in no time. :roll:
Tharkin

Return to Firefight