Game is unplayable - locks up

Real time World War II combat simulation
Eddy Bee

Game is unplayable - locks up

Post by Eddy Bee » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:52 am

When I launch Firefight, it runs fine for about 2-3 minutes and then the game slows down to a snail's pace and eventually locks up. I can't even CTRL-ALT-DEL out of it. I need to physically turn off my computer to reset.

This is really unfortunate, because I purchased the complete set of your games based on the free Firefight demo, which ran fine on my computer. Ironically, all the other games run perfectly, but Firefight is simply unplayable.

I tried changing the graphics quality from 32-bit down to 16-bit. That didn't help.

I tried changing the screen resolution from 1680x1050 down to 1280x800. That helped a little, but as described above, after 2-3 minutes the game still locks up.

Here are the specs on my computer:
Dell Inspiron 6500
2.2 GHz Pentium 4
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce4 video card

I don't have any problems running other commercial games on this computer.

I'm hoping that a patch or updated version of Firefight will be released in the near future to address this problem.

Thank you.
-Eddy Bee

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:09 am

There does seem to be a problem with the newer timing routines that I use that causes them to go very wrong if the computer isn't fast enough to keep up but work perfectly on most computers. And it even works fine on my old Pentium II 266MHZ test machine!

I'm not sure why it goes wrong on some machines but the old alternative method that I used to use would need 100% CPU time as the game was always locked in a tight loop looking to see if the clock had ticked. That was unacceptable to a lot of people especially people who ran the game on laptops as it drained the batteries very quickly.

If you send me an email though to sean@windowsgames.co.uk I could try a special version for you which would slow the timer tick from 20ms to maybe 25ms and we could see if that helps things?